1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school direct interview (help!)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bailey12, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bailey12

bailey12 New commenter

Hi All, i am currently a Nursery teacher at a school in London and have an honours degree in early childhood education (from Ireland). I need to complete the school direct programme (salairied) to get paid as qualified and gain QTS. I have over 3 years teaching experience. I have an interview in January for Sept 2016. My current employer will be my host school. Any tips for the interview? I have to read a book to yr 3 children and prep them for a writing task. I plan to read Roald Dahl's the BFG (dreams chapter) and ask them to create a recipie for their own dream (as in ingredients for a recipie) and write a short description of the dream. My experience is all with under 6's!!! Many thanks, L.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

'Recipe' not 'recipie' - for your lesson plan. Just saying.

wanet likes this.
  3. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

Make sure it is interactive. Do not read then set them a task to do. That is not what the teachers who will be looking on want to see. You need to ask them ideas as a group. Maybe brainstorm it on the whiteboard. Then after that set them a task. Be aware of your time limit though and manage expectations. The kids may not have a clue but they might totally smash it. Be prepared to prompt them to speak and praise the first kid who does.

bailey12 likes this.
  4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Sounds like you're in a good place. The position is in your current school so you know what they're looking for and can use that to your advantage.
    There's a few threads floating about with PGCE interview questions EG;
    Why do you want to teach? A safeguarding question, Qualities of a teacher. Discussion of your experience? Discussion/evaluation of your lesson/reading.

they'll be looking at how you interact with children (language, confidence, scaffolding, engagement, pairs/group work/ independent) and whether your content is age-appropriate.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you do any writing on the board, be sure to spell recipe correctly. I'm not being sarcastic.