1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School direct deferral

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by J58B4, Nov 9, 2017.

1. J58B4

J58B4 New commenter

I have recently started a PGCE with QTS on the school direct route, not long after doing so I discovered I was pregnant. This was obviously very unplanned and comes in circumstances that are far from ideal, after much deliberation I reached the conclusion that now was not the ideal time for this having given up a paid job to complete the course and already having two children to single handedly support financially.

Due to a series of errors from local healthcare providers this situation, which I deemed easier to sort out very early on, has now continued for weeks longer than I had anticipated and the idea of the ‘treatment’ route I was considering seems much more difficult.

Sadly my due date would be just at the start of my final placement, so in theory I could do everything up until this but even if I was to only take two weeks off there wouldn’t quite be enough time to fit in final placement before the summer. Just wondering if anyone had any idea whether it would be possible to defer and complete this in autumn or if I’d have to defer the entire term or if indeed it wouldn’t be possible at all?

I feel fine in myself and have spent the last three years completing my degree alongside working full time and raising two children so not worried about workload just struggling with what decision would be for the best right now. I am booked in for a surgical procedure next week but the closer it gets the more difficult I am finding it to consider going through with it. Any advice appreciated!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You really need to discuss this with your school and university tutors.The final placement can be deferred and can be completed at a later stage.