1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School days to get longer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Mar 16, 2016.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Hasn't the level of the sugar tax been set so that it's not actually enough to stop kids buying sugary drinks; merely to cut into the profits of the manufacturers?

Prices will remain roughly the same.. There will be income.

2. PaulDG

Are the kids really "burned out" by 3:15 in most state schools?

They might well be practically asleep but that's because they were up playing Call of Duty until 3am, not because of the work they put into the 5 "lessons" that went on around them between 8:30 and 3:15.

wanet likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No it wouldn't be 'reasonable' - cooking requires qualification few teachers have (and ability/experience). Only a HT with a death wish (perhaps literally if they ate the food I, for one, would produce) would consider that. This is a straw man argument.

FWIW I'm not 'frightened' by this at all - I've retried, so why should I be - nor was I adverse to running extra-curricular activities (inter alia I ran cricket teams, quiz teams, bridge clubs, film clubs, history societies etc.)

But, and this is the key, I was a willing volunteer, as were all those pupils who were there. Compulsion changes everything, for both staff & (esp.) the pupils. I've also seen colleagues have their arms twisted to participate, and, since I retired, this appears to have got worse. If you can't understand this, you are being deliberately provocative, and not a little personal.

I'm sorry to say you have gone down significantly in my opinion. I will take your future posts with a large pinch of salt.

4. PaulDG

Wasn't that because we used to have longer breaks?

Longer morning break, longer lunch break so there could be 2 or three lunch sittings with everyone off for the whole break and then (in many schools) an afternoon break too?

I thought the big reason why the finish time was brought back was to cut back on staff costs - by interleaving lunch and by cutting out the afternoon break, the day could be shortened with the same lesson time and that meant the kids could be kicked off site earlier and the buildings locked up earlier reducing overtime, etc. for non teaching staff, reducing the opportunities for vandalism...

oldsomeman and install like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Longer lunches usually involved some staff going out for their lunch too , if they so decided....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    oldsomeman likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And so you still insist that the extended day will be compulsory for staff and compulsory for pupils. There is nothing in the White Paper to suggest any such thing. It is what you imagine, but it is not what is being suggested.

Are you really not able to debate an issue without making personal comments?

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You are a troll, then. Repeating comments made to you is typical trolling behaviour.

8. florian gassmann

I've been posting here since 2005, and in all those years you are the only person to have ever called me a troll !!

:D

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

At least your a live one Florain..and not some IT robot lol

10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

You have always struck me as very unlike a troll, Florian. I'm a bit taken aback by Frank's suggestion actually :confused:

florian gassmann likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

Thank you, RedQuilt. I have to say that hiding under Norwegian bridges has never appealed (although I do like Grieg).

RedQuilt likes this.
  12. kscience

kscience New commenter

Working in a school with 6 hours of lessons and a finishing time of 4pm and an extension of the day by one hour for "intervention" it is common place and becoming increasingly more so in a large number of schools/academies not to finish teaching until 5pm most days...... For the good of the children.

So I have no doubt that teachers will be expected to lead extended day activities . Caught between a rock and a hard place

install and delnon like this.
  13. drek

drek Lead commenter

There is lots that had not been suggested in previous white papers either that has been later policified through the back door and brought in with a take it or leave the job attitude by managers.

if there is no funding available or only available to schools running 'pilot' schemes, then it will teachers who 'volunteer' for it on promises of leadership and looking good on references, that will do it 'willingly' at first to improve 'relationships' and 'get to know students' better or some such sell.

Later on it will be announced that it has been so successful at improving student progress ( fake green spreadsheet producing goblin at work again), that all teachers should do it as part of 'performance management'. And so on and so forth.

It will happen mainly because they will have a two or three year staff turnover rate - they aren't in the job long enough to know their rights, one main reason why all nqt's need to 'outstanding'. Yes people generally are these days.

install likes this.
  14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

revision sessions used to be voluntary for both staff and pupils. In most schools they are now compulsory for both bodies, be it after school, at lunch time or during the school holidays. Those of us who have worked in schools for more than a few months know just how much pressure is put on staff to "keep up with the Jones'" at the school down the road, and the other dozen or so that the head has visited or heard about.

15. install

install Star commenter

And teachers will wear themselves out -doing more than just teaching and no doubt dying well before their time....

16. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

but think how much it will save on the teachers pensions budget!

delnon and install like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Yes of course....LOL .....Here is a brief history of how this has happened covering 2000 onwards:

1 Gov't declare that more students will go to Uni , then
    2 Invent GCSEs and make sure Coursework is heavily weighted, then
    3 Invent Easier A Levels and Repeat Exam Options, then
    4 Get students to PAY to go to Uni with their new high grades, then
    5 Get those students to pay to train to become Qualified Teachers, then
    6 Tell those Qualified Teachers they must not go abroad,then
    7 Announce that teachers cannot move up the pay scale,then
    8 Get rid of NQT status and Unions but raise MPsPay, then
    9 Introduce Acadamies and wear out all teachers, then
    10 Tell teachers with NQT status that they are now too expensive
    11 Make pensions impossible to claim because MPs have used the money already...

drek, delnon, Anonymity and 2 others like this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Oops -it covers the 1990s onwards in fact ....

stupot101 likes this.
  19. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

The governments have never worked in opposition. Remember the 'We're all in this together ' quote.

drek and install like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

YES and MPs do like to have their nice fat pensions protected at all costs afterall - along with their second jobs and homes whilst seemingly working ever soooo hard.....

drek, delnon and stupot101 like this.