1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School days to get longer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Not to mention that fact that children are not coping under the pressure at the moment in many cases and they need 'down time'.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And did you get a full hour for lunch (or even longer) and a morning and afternoon break?

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Isn't that what sport, music and drama after school might provide? Or does it have to be playstation and facebook these days?

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

20 minutes morning break, 1 hour for lunch, no afternoon break.

5. Anonymity

No of course not. But there's no guarantee that that's exactly what the extra time will provide. Wait until they have extra revision classes/ extra maths etc. For some children no amount of extra classes will make a difference.

Sport music and drama shouldn't be squeezed out of the school day anyway (at primary due to the over-emphasis on maths and English. Even science seems to be being pushed out these days now there is no exam.

To go back to my own children, they do music and sports outside of school. But it is our choice and fits around our family life - even taking them is nice. But the moment it gets too much/ interferes with school/ they get too tired or can't cope, we will reduce what they do.

Of course there will be some children who would benefit, but that will be the case no matter what options are provided (or aren't provided). Schools do offer after school clubs, some more than others, but the point is is that they are optional.

6. janemk

janemk New commenter

Well, it's all getting a bit ridiculous now, isn't it. Anyone would think the government doesn't want teachers to stay in their jobs...

Having observed lots of teacher/parent panic over these ideas, I have a suggestion. Refuse to do it. All of you. Take your power back. If you don't want your children going to extra classes, don't let them go. If you don't have time to do your job properly because of it, don't agree to it. Many teachers are already in a dire state of physical and mental health even without this, due to the already ridiculous workload and conditions, and children's mental health is no better. DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If these new initiatives and academisation are not enough to prompt action I'm afraid you only have yourselves to blame. This is your chance. Take it.

Alf58, chelsea2 and Compassman like this.
  7. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

In my school it's 15 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes of lunchtime. That's less than an hour's break for 11 year olds in a day that goes from 8.30-3.30 plus travelling time plus homework. Extending the day by another hour would give them an 8 hour day with less than an hour's break - as an adult, I find it completely exhausting so God knows what the children feel like. At my school we also have athletes who have won national and international medals in competitions, musicians and singers who perform in theatres, and kids who work on their family farms. What will happen to hobbies outside of school? What will happen to teachers' children who do these things?

delnon and Anonymity like this.
  8. Anonymity

'Do something'?

Of course. But those of us that do seem to find ourselves heading towards the door.. And have you seen how supported teachers are when they strike?

Everyone has to 'do something' together.

How do you suggest coordinating it?

youmakemesmile likes this.
  9. janemk

janemk New commenter

Well, quite, Anonymity. Everyone does have to 'do something' together, as was the subject of a recent thread on 'workplace dilemmas'. Or rather, 'do nothing', in the sense of 'don't do any of this nonsense.' It's hard to coordinate when many teachers seem to be living in fear and/or are so completely exhausted they lack the strength to fight. But it's only going to get worse if it's allowed to continue unopposed. (I didn't think it could actually get worse - ha, proven wrong this week!) So all I can do is point this out and hope people take strength from it, that you have a choice (I left years ago, already thinking it was fairly bad!) and especially if you work together. If you don't, there will be no recognisable education system left in a few years' time and you'll all be having nervous breakdowns for even worse pay and conditions than you have now. And if you have kids, talk to other parents. They cannot force you all to send your children to compulsory useless afterschool activities if you don't want to. Especially if it gets in the way of something your child already does, like sports or instrument lessons. Stop it now before it becomes just another part of the system. I did see a petition going round Facebook earlier. It may not even get off the ground yet...

Anonymity likes this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But will teachers 'do something'.......or just accept it like they've accepted all the other stuff that has been thrown at them in recent years. I have my doubts.

sparkleghirl and Anonymity like this.
  11. janemk

janemk New commenter

Who knows. But if this week's news isn't enough to make them do something, nothing will.

Anonymity likes this.
  12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I agree but I can see teachers in staff rooms up and down the country just sitting there saying 'what can we do?'

Anonymity likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Here's a consumer's point of view:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/17/longer-school-hours-george-osborne-budget

It ends:

Osborne can change the timetable, but he can’t change the attitudes. Nothing productive can be achieved by burned-out pupils at 5pm. So I ask you once more, chancellor, to look at the real issues instead. Look to improve teachers’ workloads and get young people excited about education, rather than simply burning them out. Osborne’s reforms will see achievements. But not better grades. They will achieve unhealthy, unmotivated and even more vulnerable children.

Chancellor: we may be failing exams, but you are failing us.

Anonymity, delnon and janemk like this.
  14. janemk

janemk New commenter

@Compassman I think you're probably right. It's learned helplessness. Am just hoping someone reads my posts and remembers that they actually have a choice, and cannot be dictated to if they reclaim their own power.

Anonymity likes this.
  15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

They can follow their colleagues through the door marked "exit". Easier said than done; but as and when the econoimic situation improves, the teacher haemorrhage will be impoossible to ignore.

Compassman likes this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But they can. I school I know extended their school day by one lesson one day a week for enrichment activities. It mattered not if pupils already had something happening - everyone (even reception) had to stay.

17. janemk

janemk New commenter

@chelsea2 I was meaning if everyone kicks up a fuss and refuses to implement it. My God, what has happened to everyone in education? Fight it if you don't want it! If I had kids and I did not want them to be doing something that someone else was trying to enforce, believe me, they would not be doing it. I admit, I may have a 'stronger will' than most people though... ;-)

They also said "if you take your kids out of school for holidays you will get fined" etc, until one amazing parent said "actually, I think you'll find we can", took his LA to court and won. It's only true if you believe it...

Compassman, Anonymity and emerald52 like this.
  18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Looks like a massive recruiting campaign for the unions! Even the ' I don't want to hurt the children' ones will be on strike.

19. Anonymity

But they've changedthe workforce. More experienced teachers (like me) Who might stand up and speak out (obviously not all will) and the newer teachers who know nothing else who nod along and do whatever is asked. I would like to say I've met newer teachers who will speak out but I haven't as yet.

I agree with you. But I am so FED UP with saying this at work. I am FED UP with having to talk people through the the STPCD. I am FED UP with being one of a minority who is prepared to speak up for what I feel is right no matter who hides behind me. It's no wonder I'm on a support plan - I'm not even particularly outspoken, but I am clued up. The people who verbally supported strikes, then backed out - give me strength.

The people who say 'if I don't do it, who will?'/ 'I'll give up my free day to do this' - and imply that others who don't are failing the children. The people who will complain about the extra time in the staff room, but then will just get on and do it meekly all complaints forgotten.

Forgive me. I'm having a bad week. And that was before the budget.

20. Anonymity

emerald52 likes this.