1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School days to get longer

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Mar 16, 2016.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...lained-what-does-it-mean-for-me-a6932741.html

Not much detail yet, but it looks as if HTs will get extra money to provide enrichment for an extra hour every day.

How much of this money will enhance the pay of teachers who work longer hours, and how long do you think these extra payments will last before the school day is routinely extended for all staff?

After all, teachers have nothing much else to do once the children go home.:(
    (Irony warning)

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps an opening for us recently retired to earn a bit of pin money?

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

This has been tried before.

delnon and Middlemarch like this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Pins can be addictive Blazer

5. lunarita

lunarita Occasional commenter

It's hard to believe this government is worried about a brain drain in education.

delnon, Middlemarch and cissy3 like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Presumably these extra classes will be taken by staff 'bought in' (e.g.sports coaches)...

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Regardless of who teaches - is it compulsory for the children? I don't want my children to do a longer day:(

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

A local school extended the school day one day a week to provide 'enrichment' activities for pupils. It was compulsory, regardless of whether or not pupils already had activities that evening. It was compulsory even for Reception children (it was an 'all-through' academy) who were exhausted by 3.00. It was compulsory for teaching staff. Many TAs were also involved - not sure if they were paid extra. Pupils were given a choice of activities, but rarely got what they chose, so they hated it. Staff hated it, and often chose to lead activities requiring little teacher input (film club, computers, quiz club, etc). Many parents hated it. But it looked great on paper.
    After 3 years it was scrapped.

Norsemaid, Mrsmumbles, delnon and 4 others like this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

Oh, yes, just to add that in those 3 years the school moved from good to SM.

10. jobrien32

jobrien32 New commenter

Hi we will [​IMG]

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. And when they first got in, the Tory/LibDem govt scrapped a range of funding streams which provided exactly this, e.g. the school sports partnerships.

I heard earlier that there was going to be money that schools could "bid for" and it would perhaps affect 25% of secondary schools. It reminds me of when I was in my first headship, during the latter part of the Major government and we had barely enough in the budget to pay the bills - there were various bits of money for which you could "bid" then and it took up inordinate amounts of time doing so, only to be refused in most cases.

delnon and wanet like this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Now wlil teachers be expected to also do their office work after the children go home or during?.It should accelerate the teacher leaving figures nicely..........
    Im concerned that somewhere down the line the staff are going to get ripped off.

Anonymity and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I remember a scheme by John major's government whereby all school children were to do 5 hours of competitive sport per week. When I wrote to the government pointing out that for school of 1500 students taught in classes of 30 to do 5 hours of sport a week would require about 10 PE staff and about 8 sports pitches or gymnasia to be used every period of the school week I never received a reply. Like most things from the major era, it came to nothing.

Does anybody else remember this proposed scheme?

delnon likes this.
  14. Middlemarch

Yes, I do! I ranted on exactly the same points that you did to anyone I could pin down at the time!

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

My assumption is that these extra activities will not be run by teachers (after all, there's extra funding involved, so teachers aren't going to get any of that) but by outside providers, or perhaps TAs (who, once again, seem to be expected to be super-skilled). Assuming I'm right, where are all these people going to come from, who are all available from 3 - 6.00 p.m. every school day? Surely people who have full-time jobs can't / won't want to do it, and it won't pay enough to be a person's sole job. Plus space in schools - halls, gym, studios, etc are not exactly plentiful, so most activities will take place in classrooms, thus reducing the scope of what can be done.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and this is added to teachers' workloads.....:eek:

delnon likes this.
  16. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

But to reiterate, even if this is all true, I hope it's not compulsory fir the children. I don't want my children to have a longer school day...

Scintillant likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When the government asks schools to bid for money, there will be lots of data collection going on to 'prove' that the money was being used properly. So the school will be under pressure to ensure pupils attend...So it wouldn't surprise me if most schools which do get this money make it compulsory, at least for some pupils.

Mind you, as a parent of a pupil at the school already they'd have to give you notice that the school day times were changing - used to be a year (but that may have changed since I retired!)

delnon and Anonymity like this.
  18. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Will there be extra money to pay for the hire of the school building for these extra hours? Not sure what rate the PFI and BSF "partners" will ask for but it's all extra now that the buildings don't belong to the schools anymore.

19. Middlemarch

Nor I for my nieces - both are outstanding athletes (even the 10 year old) and they have enough to do with their homework and training.

Anonymity likes this.
  20. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Quite. Whilst we are all used to the government hammering teachers, It's about time parents said enough is enough. It will start off with 'Enrichment' but will soon descend in to the exam groups being crammed through extra classes whilst the younger ones get overlooked as always. I thought there was a concern about the rise in stress related illness in school age children. Longer school days will help.:rolleyes:

Shedman, janemk, poltergeist and 2 others like this.