1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Crime

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Sep 24, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And so it begins...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34268942

More than 30,000 alleged crimes linked to schools were reported to police in 2014, a BBC investigation has found.

The figure - for England, Wales and Northern Ireland - is equivalent to 160 allegations per school day. Theft and violent crime were the most common types of offence to be reported.

The NSPCC said the number of reported sexual offences - 1,502 - was worrying.

The government said crime had "no place in our schools" and it had given teachers greater powers to tackle it.

Data was collated from 32 forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which responded to a Freedom of Information request from the Victoria Derbyshire programme.

It is not known how many reports led to convictions.

Obviously would be nice to see the 'trends'. Is the problem rising? Is it line with school population growth?

Are school behaviour policies worth the paper they are printed on? Seems like a discussion a nation should have.... but won't have because it's too difficult to control, better to bleat on about 'data' and 'targets'.

2. KirkDouglas

KirkDouglas New commenter

There are convicted rapists in lessons and not a soul knows who they are.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why are teachers expected to deal with crime in schools? The police deal with crime everywhere else.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed Flere... in many ways schools try to suppress reports of crimes so as to maintain their image in the wider community. Seen it happen where I work.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me too. It's all about the reputation!

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Or the Ofsted rating... a colleague of mine was at a school where Ofsted were due, and they removed information from SIMs about an assault on a girl by two boys during a school trip

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Where's the point in recording and reporting it if you can't do anything about it? Criminal-minded kids do it because they can.
    The Police are hamstrung enough when it comes to disciplining surly well-built malicious young adults (sorry, children) but the school is completely toothless.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Too right. I found, however, that on some occasions when I called the police in to school to deal with a serious incident that I felt was criminal enough for them, they would dismiss it and say "We'll let you deal with that." One was the most serious physical assault by two boys on another that it's ever been my misfortune to see the result of, including the trail of blood after they dragged him along a corridor. All I could do was permanently exclude; they both got places in other schools...

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The parents can always involve the police, and they do then take notice.