1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"School could reopen on weeks"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Everyone on telly keeps saying 18 months for a vaccine.

Is HIV a complete ***** to make one for then? It has been 40 years and we still don't have one.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A vaccine can be made if the body can generate an immune response. With illnesses like measles, flu and the like most victims get better and leave antibodies in their blood. If this happens, then a vaccine may be possible.
    Now most people recover from C19. We seem unsure if immunity happens so can't be certain.
    With HIV, I'm less sure of the detail, but in the early days, it seemed to be always fatal , so no effective immune response, so medication has to deal with the virus.

3. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

I’m tempted to think some sections of the community on their own might not be deemed as high priority.

But it must be said, anyone contracting HIV today has no drop in life expectancy. In the ‘80s it was a guaranteed death sentence.

I think many people are (or perhaps should be?) using ‘vaccine’ as a synonym for ‘treatment’.

I think we’re more likely to find other treatments which reduce, or completely remove the negative impact on life expectancy before we find a vaccine.

Jonntyboy and agathamorse like this.