1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"School could reopen on weeks"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 10, 2020.

1. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

I agree, but obviously that means when they can be MADE safe.

I think we all agree a room of 30 kids isn’t safe - it’s not 2m. Smaller classes might change that.

We shouldn’t think we’re just waiting for the virus to disappear due to disappear in 18 months with a vaccine, and schools are out until then.

Is anyone actually thinking that? I just can’t see society grinding to an almost complete halt for that long. And we’re not a special case.

We should expect the same rules, the same exemptions as everyone else. If 2m is lifted from everyone else, it’s lifted from us. If it’s in place for everyone else, it’s in place for us.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

The health of all society (the world) is crucial here imho. This is a pandemic. Critics of the UK Govt argue it delayed lockdown , doesn’t test enough, didn’t have contingency place, has let nhs workers down by not testing them or providing PPE, and has let Care Homes down.

Some might say where the Govt has got it right is in extending the current lockdown, trying not to overwhelm the NHS and in promoting ‘Stay safe, Stay at home’ approach. Stopping the spread of the virus is key too - that is clear.

Once we feel safer, getting the economy moving will come first imho with a Phased approach. That means schools will no doubt continue to ‘childmind’ children of those workers who need to return to work if they feel safe to. The UK Govt will have a percentage of Phase 1 workers that might go back for example. And Schools will be able to see how many children we are talking about once that happens.

But we are not ready yet.

3. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

4. install

install Star commenter

This is not good if our front line staff cannot even have PPE at this point:

‘NHS bosses have asked doctors and nurses to work without protective full-length gowns when treating Covid-19 patients, as hospitals came within hours of running out of supplies.

The guidance is a reversal of Public Health England (PHE) guidelinesstipulating that full-length waterproof surgical gowns, designed to stop coronavirus droplets getting into someone’s mouth or nose, should be worn for all high-risk hospital procedures.’

Sally006 likes this.
  5. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

When this is all over, I hope people remember what the conservatives and businesses have done to our country and never vote them in again.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  6. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

To shift blame for the shortfall in their testing figures onto the key workers not turning up beggars belief!! Couldn’t possibly be anything to do the Government failings could it? I have reached the point now where I cannot watch the daily briefings anymore. I just catch the summaries on here or the news.

install likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

And then no other political party is better though. A pity other parties don’t look to help out more in a pandemic rather than point scoring. They have not got out of their way to buy in PPE either but just to make lots of speeches.

We need to save the NHS imho - all of us together no matter what the politics.

8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And that will require a whole new approach. We can’t continue, for example, funding it the same way as it was when it was set up 70+ years ago. The world has changed, the amount of medical support/treatment available has changed, the number of people contributing through taxation has changed; we need a radical shift in our approach to reduce the chances of the NHS being in the same situation again.

sunshineneeded and install like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Gotta be that society pays more into it imho. Footballers /celebrities / tv personalities / some of those on wages over £200,000 need to recognise that maybe others lower down in the pecking order really do far more than they do. It’s time for 20 percent of their wages to go to the pay of NHS active workers in critical care who earn less than £25,000 imho.

Those who earn over £100,000 (all jobs combined) should pay 7 percent to the NHS. It’s time to recognise that we really are all in this together imo.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Sooner or later the government will have to lift the lockdown. Either they have no real plan or their current thinking is likely to be so scary that they don't want to share it any time soon.

Opening schools will be there somewhere in any plan because of the child minding issue. Not all workers can work at home and so schools will have to open. The Economy will have to be resuscitated or we will run out of money you( can only borrow for so long).

What I'm concerned about is there being no sharing as how this could be done and how if anyway the dangers to teachers can be mitigated. Being in close proximity seems almost unsolvable in the way that schools normally run. Promises of PPE are unlikely to be forthcoming (look at the NHS and care supply problem). Teachers are going to get a very short straw.

11. install

install Star commenter

Agree. Schools will continue be child minding facilities imho throughout Summer.Teaching itself will continue to be home learning.

Small businesses and essential workers will gradually get back to work imho in June. (No social groupings though) . Still a type of lockdown I reckon.Then there maybe a second spike in the cooler months.Forget PPE - instructions will be to wash our hands more imo. We might see a huge emergence of plastic transparency screens though encased in cardboard.

12. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

From the Guardian this morning:

"Italy to reopen manufacturing industry in just over a week
    Italy will start reopening its manufacturing industry on 4 May as part of plans to ease its coronavirus lockdown and schools will reopen in September, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in a newspaper interview on Sunday picked up by Reuters."

Interesting , given the lead story about the UK Coronavirus situation is that the number of cases isn't dropping quickly enough to consider ending the lockdown.

The data here shows that Italy is now on a very different trajectory to the UK, yet they're saying September.

All our graphs appear to be still climbing, yet there are continual discussions about opening schools as soon as possible...

Catgirl1964, Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  13. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

For a long time we appeared to be following Italy very closely on those graphs. They locked down a long time before us too. I suspect we will, sadly, overtake their death toll.

suspect schools are due to end in June anyway in Italy so not surprised they are being cautious. For the sake of one month of return, the potential for a second spike - just not worth it. Sensible decision on their part. Doubts that will happen here.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We don't have such a strict lockdown to start with.

Cases could be dropping far more quickly if we closed all by actually essential shops, closed schools properly, had stricter controls for leaving houses, stricter rules on who must work from home, etc.

15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Surely the data isn't robust enough for the trend in the number of cases to contribute meaningfully to a decision on ending lockdown.

In the early days of the outbreak, only those requiring hospitalisation were being tested and so the early "number of cases" figure represented the coronavirus related strain on the NHS, the avoidance of which has driven (rightly or wrongly) the lockdown response. Testing has now widened to include non-hospitalised cases, so the "number of cases" now being reported no longer has the same impact on the NHS - the figures aren't comparable because the testing paradigm has changed.

We're also testing more and more people week-on-week (though still not many): under these conditions, it would be entirely possible to see week-on-week increases in the number of positive tests but a week-on-week decrease in both infection rate and hospitalisations.

This whole response seems to have been characterised by hasty responses to woolly statistical analysis. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

upload_2020-4-26_12-52-7.jpeg

Grandsire and drvs like this.
  17. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

You’d like to think so, but I doubt it.

When schools open, I hope it’s not a confusing mess of some schools with 80% attendance and others with hardly any. It’s going to be tough anyway, with children having done the work set during lockdown and others not. Where to begin.

This September will be the first one I haven’t been going into school since 1978. Can’t say I’m sorry. My heart goes out to you.

18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

there will be a new normal. Social distancing will be part of our everyday lives until a vaccine is distributed. Every aspect of our lives will revolve around social distancing.
    I also expect second, third fourth waves of covid19 as people get tired of the rules.

The economy will be destroyed irrevocably if we lock down until we get a vaccine. Some economic activity will be allowed until the number of infections starts to climb again and then we lock down again. A crashed economy will kill as many as the virus.

Socially distanced schools will be a reality until a vaccine is found. There are many suggestions floating around about how this could be achieved. Part-time schooling is the general idea. But this would make exams impossible and the attainment gap between rich and poor students would increase markedly.

Some states in america are allowing bars and restaurants to operate. It will be interesting to see how the infection rate in those states compares to others in lock down.

Then there is the austerity to come. This will kill more than the virus.

peter12171 likes this.
  19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

This is very true. If there is no cure or vaccine then we need to get the human race to literally get on with their lives and accept that Covid-19 is one of those conditions that people get like Cancer, Heart Disease etc.

My only proviso is that we have enough provision within the NHS to cope and look after those that catch the disease.

At the moment all our effort is rightly going into Covid-19 without looking at the consequences of people losing their jobs, not getting screened or treated for cancers, losing their livelihoods, houses etc. There's a massive crisis evolving out there away from the virus itself and it's going to take a brave government to address that (I'm talking globally not just in the UK).

strawbs and peter12171 like this.
  20. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Not to be too depressing, covid19 may become the main cause of death. As we get older, no vaccine is found, eventually we will all catch covid19 again and again until we die from it.

if you want really depressing, let us contemplate the generation(s) of austerity to come due to the as yet unrealised economic effect of covid19.