1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School converting to an academy - childcare vouchers?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ps2mint, Oct 8, 2018.

1. ps2mint

ps2mint New commenter

Hi all,
    My school is planning to become an academy as part of a MAT in a few months time.
    I currently use childcare vouchers but am aware that this scheme has just closed.
    I’m worried that after conversion I may lose this benefit.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation or been through the same situation recently?

Many thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You should be transferred to the new management under "TUPE regulations", which means that your terms and conditions are preserved. I think they can be renegotiated after a year, but only if they are no less favourable. I don't know what happens if your new employer hasn't been involved with childcare vouchers before though, as the scheme is closed to new entrants. You'd also lose them if your current employer ceases to run the scheme, so maybe the MAT can argue that your school might have done - or maybe they will ask the school to stop using them before conversion, which could wriggle them out of it. I think you're going to need union advice on this one...

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This looks complicated to me. TUPE would usually apply, but I found this link. https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/childcare-vouchers, which makes it clear that you cannot receive vouchers if you change employer. There is also the question of whether vouchers are a permanent part of your contract - these things can be phrased in a way that allows the employer to end them. @frustum's advice to consult your union sounds sensible, and you can't be alone in this.