1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school considering becoming an academy- should I be worried

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by madjessy, May 5, 2012.

1. Hi
    My school has recently told us it is going ointo consultation with the governors as to whether or not to become an academy. Our head has welcomed us to ask questions or raise concerns- which I'd like to do but feel I don't have all the facts.
    My main concern is that it would affect dropping Drama from the curriculum as it's been my baby for 2 years and has been rising rapidly like a phoenix. I have been assured that this would not happen owing to its popularity and success but had it carried on as per prior to me then maybe. I have been told that they main reason is so that they can accomodate the growth of departments like mine that are out growing their selves (e.g. 1 room, not particularly purpose built) and get towards seriously planning a purpose performing arts block which I have been told we cant access pots of funds for without being an academy.
    Sorry to ramble about my situation there but it may help having some contect to my concern.
    Can anyone advise or reveal any issues for my subject that may come from becoming an academy that I havn't found in my research yet or perhaps they dont tell you before its too late. Has anyone recently become academy and had a postitve or negative experience?
    Jess

2. Hi
    My school has recently told us it is going ointo consultation with the governors as to whether or not to become an academy. Our head has welcomed us to ask questions or raise concerns- which I'd like to do but feel I don't have all the facts.
    My main concern is that it would affect dropping Drama from the curriculum as it's been my baby for 2 years and has been rising rapidly like a phoenix. I have been assured that this would not happen owing to its popularity and success but had it carried on as per prior to me then maybe. I have been told that they main reason is so that they can accomodate the growth of departments like mine that are out growing their selves (e.g. 1 room, not particularly purpose built) and get towards seriously planning a purpose performing arts block which I have been told we cant access pots of funds for without being an academy.
    Sorry to ramble about my situation there but it may help having some contect to my concern.
    Can anyone advise or reveal any issues for my subject that may come from becoming an academy that I havn't found in my research yet or perhaps they dont tell you before its too late. Has anyone recently become academy and had a postitve or negative experience?
    Jess