1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school closure due to new National Curriculum?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Guthrum, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

We parents have just been informed of the school proposal to merge our two sites to one which means as a result closing the village school because they need to deliver the new NC to separate year groups. The village school is 'Good' as per the last Ofsted (2014) has 65 pupils and a vibrant PTFA which is in uproar at this plan. I am a parent, secondary teacher and university lecturer in Education so I know we are being conned on this one. Anyone have any similar experiences about closure, how to oppose it and the new NC? Ideas, tactics gratefully received!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We are a small village school with mixed classes and we successfully deliver the New National Curriculum. Why does merging two sites result in the closing of a village school. Are there 2 schools in the village?
    Don't think you can oppose the NC it needs to be followed unless you are private, free school or an academy.

Guthrum likes this.
  3. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

What is to stop delivering the NC to individual year groups who are in the same class ? Nobody to my knowledge has said all Primary schools must be at least one form entry. If that were the case think of the funding implications.

Guthrum likes this.
  4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

great excuse but not based in reality

Guthrum likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mixed age class schools are alive and well here. 65 pupils is quite low however ( although there are plenty of schools with lower numbers on roll) but I would be more suspicious of the "merged sites" scenario

Guthrum likes this.
  6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

You are indeed being conned. We are a small school with 41 on roll and we are alive and delivering the NC to all those who 'need' it!!
    There is clearly an agenda here and I would do some serious searching. Could it be related to finance (isn't everything?!). The Ofsted says you're good so there is no question about standards. Could the 'merged sites' be because they have a use for one of the buildings that will become vacant? Redevelopment? Just musing ideas...
    Let us know what happens, please.

Guthrum likes this.
  7. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Not only do I whole-heartedly agree with the previous replies, but I would go further:

1. There was a National Curriculum before. There is a new one now. So what is this really about?!

2. The NC is very clear that children should be taught in Key Stages, and that content can be moved around within a key stage to suit the individual pupils. If you show this reference to the people proposing the merger you may find out their true motive, but it certainly isn't the Curriculum!

Here, should you need it, is the content direct from page 4 of the mathematics NC, which is freely available to parents:

School curriculum

The programmes of study for mathematics are set out year-by-year for key stages 1 and 2. Schools are, however, only required to teach the relevant programme of study by the end of the key stage. Within each key stage, schools therefore have the flexibility to introduce content earlier or later than set out in the programme of study. In addition, schools can introduce key stage content during an earlier key stage, if appropriate. All schools are also required to set out their school curriculum for mathematics on a year-by-year basis and make this information available online.

Attainment targets

By the end of each key stage, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant programme of study.

Guthrum likes this.
  8. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Thanks Wotton. I know we can't oppose the NC, I meant the proposed closure. Good to know you are delivering the new NC in a small school. The two schools are actually 4 miles apart, a federation. I suspect it is financial rather than educational.

9. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Yes, it's an excuse. We're trying to find out the reality….

10. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Thanks Carrie. Yes, it is the 'merger' that underpins it all, not any educational reason. We're hoping to find out soon enough….

11. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

That's good to hear about your school. We suspect it is a financial and strategic plan using the NC as a rather flimsy excuse….

12. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Many thanks, Andrew, for your considered response. You hit on the key issue, which is KEY stages and not year groups. The proposed merger is probably about financial and strategic motives rather than educational reasons. We hope to find that out soon enough.

13. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What a whopper of a lie to put in to a merger proposal. Do most parents believe this lie? I always find it extra sad when it is an educational institution that is lying as, to me, one of the principles of education is about getting to the truth if at all possible.

I can see though that running a school of 65 pupils from year R to year 6 could have some downsides to it but a proposal to merge two schools needs some careful weighing up of the pros and cons for all to see, not some glib and incorrect statement about it being due to national curriculum requirements.