1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School closure and HLTA assessment

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Kittyb74, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi,
    I need help, advice, guidance whatever. Due to the coronavirus,my assessor visit will be done over the phone. I've yet to send all of my tasks over. I've done all my tasks and now just putting it all together, I'm getting myself in such a state that now I'm ready to send it, I'm looking at the standards and thinking my evidence is wrong, it doesn't match. Also on a couple of the tasks I have claimed standards against passages in my task but I have already claimed that standard on perhaps another 2 tasks, therefore I'm up to my limit on evidence. That task then barely has any physical evidence, although there are standards I have claimed. Does any of this make sense??? So sorry if it doesn't, before I lose my sanity I just need some advice. Please.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Kittyb74, you're getting yourself in a real pickle - I think it's because nothing is happening the way you expected it to, and there are so many other problems to worry us all right now. What about your documentary evidence? Do you have to send that too, or is the assessment simply going to be done without it? You might not have or be able to sort electronic copies of everything now. If the assessor is just going to see your tasks, you need to make sure that the standards you claim are as clear as possible. There's no problem with claiming a standard 2 or 3 times.

Try not to worry too much - I'm sure the assessor is equally in the dark, they will never have done an assessment over the phone before! I know from all your posts that you've worked incredibly hard and I'm sure everything will be fine. Have one more read through your tasks then get them sent off.

Post again if there's anything we can help with here. You'll be fine!

3. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi, You are right there, it doesn't help that our last two sessions, (we have had numerous little ones and then 2 full days) have been cancelled and unlikely to be rescheduled before my assessor visit. I think they are not sure how it is going to work, my plan was to email all 8 tasks and 3 of them were using my own lesson plan so I was going to attach them. The plan is for him to speak to my head, then teacher then myself but this was when schools were open. They also need my portfolio so they can refer to it if he asks them what evidence I used for a standard. Not sure how that will work if the school is still closed as it would be a logistical nightmare for us all to access it from it home. We are hoping the school will either be open or they will at least let us in for this.
    I am struggling to find evidence for 13 & 15 or can policies be used? Can I also ask, the grid, do I have to tick on the form column every time I have covered a standard or only if there is document evidence. It doesn't help that my son and hubbie are coughing away so there is that as well. All a bit of a nightmare! So sorry to babble on!

4. sunshineneeded

Standard 13 - statutory and non-statutory frameworks - are talking about the Primary Curriculum (statutory) and anything you might use that's non-statutory. This could be a Phonics scheme (Letters and Sounds, Jolly Phonics, RWInc) or a Maths Scheme (White Rose, Abacus) - anything that your school chooses to use. So, depending on where you've claimed that standard, you could use a lesson/intervention plan from the scheme, or a child's work that you have feedback marked. As I know it's really difficult to get anything from school that you don't already have at the moment, you could download and print a published lesson plan, then annotate it as you would if you were teaching it.

For standard 15, you can use part of SEN code of practice (I'd go for the short summary!), highlighting and annotating a part that refers to something you do to support a learner/learners in line with the code.

I'm not 100% sure about the grid - I think you tick every time you've claimed a standard, although I'd say three would be the max. If you've covered a standard more than 3 times, choose the 3 which you feel are the strongest evidence.

Do you have a copy of the HLTA candidate handbook? If not, it's on-line - I think the examples of evidence for each standard in it are useful.

You're nearly there - stay safe and well - and don't panic!

5. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Thank you. It's really tricky because my portfolio is at school, so although I have my laptop, all the evidence ( children's work, photos, etc) is there! I'm hoping I can get into school at some point to at least piece the remaining bits together. Thanks again for your help, no doubt I'll be back!

6. sunshineneeded

You're very welcome. You will definitely get there!

7. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi

Advice would be appreciated on this query. I have highlighted, annotated on my document/evidence where the standard applies. Should I do the same on each of the tasks where I have made reference to this standard, where there is evidence in my portfolio to match, or is that not necessarily as the purpose of the grid is for that reason?