1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School closed for Polling (12th December GE)

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jellandy, Oct 30, 2019.

1. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Our school is usually used for polling and I inherited the expectation that staff attend school that day even though the children can't - in effect an additional INSET day. We have just been notified that the school will be needed as a polling station on 12th December for the General Election.

Is this a statutory requirement or can the Head decide to allow the staff to work at home on that day? In my previous authority, they allocated an Occasional Day in the school year for this purpose as they did not allow schools to be used as polling stations.

Any signposting to guidance / advice would be appreciated - I can't seem to find an answer to this particular question through Google!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I know that we were allowed to work from home for the 1997 election. We were supposed to be completing specific tasks (allocated by HoDs) rather than general catch-up. It may have been forced in our case - we were next door to a significant count, and the only person allowed on site was the technician responsible for feeding various animals kept at the school.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Head certainly has the discretion to allow staff to work from home on 12th December. In my LA advice is that schools should seek to rearrange INSET days and move one to election day if that is possible so that pupils do not miss a day.

Whether it's possible will depend, amongst other things, on the layout of your school. Is it possible for the area used as a polling station to be locked off from the rest of the school and be self contained (eg its own toilets) and for staff coming into school to use a different entrance to the one used by voters? If so you should be able to use the rest of the school to run an INSET day.

JohnJCazorla and Stiltskin like this.