1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School climate strike: are the protests a good thing for ‘Generation Snowflake’?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 29, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I think we have have to have a careful balance between wanting to encourage engagement in global issues and jumping on the bandwagon for a day off.
    Students should only be striking if they genuinely are changing thier ways because they really want to make a difference. They can only do thus if they know enough about it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2019
  3. epavey

epavey New commenter

Please read my recent blog on this.

https://climatechangeteacherblog.wo...climate-change-its-on-the-curriculum-isnt-it/

I think we have have to have a careful balance between wanting to encourage engagement in global issues and jumping on the bandwagon for a day off.
    Students should only be striking if they genuinely are changing their ways because they really want to make a difference. They can only do this if they know enough about it.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Why just for climate change?

border_walker likes this.
  5. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

I fully support them.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  6. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I think people should only be encouraged to take part in climate change strikes if they are taking some clear action themselves to reduce their environmental impact. My colleague refused to allow his son to take part in the climate change strikes because he has so far shown no interest in doing anything directly himself to reduce his carbon footprint so it seemed a bit hypocritical to start lecturing other people. Likewise, I was appalled by Emma Thompson flying thousands of miles to speak at the London protests and then pleading that she has exceptional circumstances. It will take global government action to seriously mitigate the damage we have caused but this will have to be matched by changes to individual lifestyles. As demonstrated by the plastic bag policy, lots of individuals making a small change have a big effect on overall numbers.

border_walker likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Established commenter

‘Generation Snowflake’

Isn't that a bit insulting to young people?

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's usually meant to be, and thereby to me as a parent and teacher.

9. gainly

gainly Established commenter

On a walk with my local ramblers group we met two girls (about 14) picking litter. We asked if they did this often and they said they did it every weekend. It would be much better if young people did something useful like that rather than skipping school.

bessiesmith and border_walker like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How come gammon gets censored but threads can be started by moderators using the word "snowflake"?

Anyway, it's a fantastic thing. Well done them.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

gammon

gammon

gammon

snowflake

snowflake

snowflake

Seems like neither word is censored by TES

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Censored as in not allowed to be used, rather than asterisked out.

Whenever I have used it to describe angry males with a hypertensive complexion,it has been deleted.

Snowflake is acceptable though