1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School choir

Discussion in 'Music' started by JoanClayton1, Jan 10, 2016.

1. JoanClayton1

JoanClayton1 New commenter

Hi, I have just started running a choir with KS2 pupils and would like to sing some African (or more generally international) music with them. I'm thinking of some chanting combined with some singing but can't remember the names of any similar songs that I have sung in the past. Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Thanks

2. cate50

cate50 New commenter

Siyahamba is great. Also Noyana and Suale. Sing up have the Suale backing tracks. Siyahamba can be sung in close part harmony. Noyana is also in 3 parts. You could also start with the three spiritual partner songs: When the Saints, Swing low and I'm gonna sing. They fit together beautifully!

Hope this helps?

C x

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Sing for Pleasure (www.singforpleasure.org.uk) has an online shop and you can purchase a variety of material from them. They sell many small booklets of songs/rounds and some of these are African. E.g. In the booklet Boom Chicka Boom there is a Nigerian song called E-ku Ay-ooh-oh; in Lost in Space you will find Soualle; in Dreamtime is Kelele, a song from Ghana.
    Sing for Pleasure also run courses about how to conduct a choir, teach songs from scratch etc.
    In the Sing Up programme there is/was an African song called Nanuma. My choir sang this as a round accompanied by two large drums keeping the pulse, a couple of cabasas and two xylophones playing an ostinato of C E G A.

5. notable

notable New commenter

My pupils always seem to love "Janie Mama".