1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School built on toxic waste site.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Jun 18, 2019.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Now what "genius" thought it was a good idea to build a school on a site that was previously used to dump toxic waste? :mad:

It sounds like the story line of a horror film and would be funny if it wasn't putting staff and students' health at risk.

The person responsible needs to found and their reasoning questioned.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/envir...oxic-site-have-the-same-rare-cancer-1-4934923

PS: I wonder if the land was going cheap?

nomad likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

They're building a housing estate on the site of the previous Kirkstall Forge in Leeds. I dont know what else it might be contaminated with, but it definitely had arsenic.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

[​IMG]

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Yes saw this on the news, awful for those affected and yes an investigation is overdue.

I was thinking about the housing on brownfield sites too but when looking at them years back had been reassured they would only use decontaminated land... Wonder how true it was and if it still applies.

I once feared one of the schools I've worked in may have asbestos related issues in the fullness of time (though it's now closed) but as the building dust settled we were a told that it was fine as the dust from the damaged roof didn't apparently involve blue asbestos... Good job too if that was the case else it would have been to late for us all as we were told to keep calm and carry on, so guess we were very lucky at that place, just hope the older generations weren't affected by the old pipework.

Hope those at the school named get appropriate treatment and those responsible held accountable, why don't we think people matter as much as cost cutting? We have got things very wrong in so many ways.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  5. shayne_smith

shayne_smith New commenter

Gives new meaning to a toxic workplace!

les25paul, nomad and needabreak like this.