1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School built on Private Roads?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by upsadaisy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Parents of a local school are being clamped endlessly if they park on the roads surrounding the school as they are all private. The school is not allowed a crossing either due to this and it is becoming a safety issue.

Any way to force the private company to give the roads over to the council to be adopted or for the council to take action?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think we need more information.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

The house builders own all the roads and the local council doesn't. So the roads are private. The general public is not allowed to park on the roads unless they have a permit. The house builders employ a private clamping company to patrol and clamp.

4. What was there first? The school or the estate?
    If the school was there first then surely there would have been some agreement made when the private company bought the land to build the houses, with regards to parking at peak school times (8-9 and 2.30-4 maybe).
    If the housing estate was there first, then I'd guess that a similar agreement would have been made when the council aquired the land for the school, and the boundary of council land to private land established.
    Not sure if that helps but I'm guessing some digging needs to be done with the local councillor about it and ask questions.
    JSY x

5. Then a decision was agreed upon between the private housing company and the council and I suppose nothing can be done. Speak to your local councillor if you think there is an argument for more provision, or for signage to make it clearer about where is available (like the signs that say no parking between certain times).
    JSY x

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I don't think there was an agreement. I'm sure the council expected the roads to be handed over for adoption. But apparently they cannot do anything.

Our local park wasn't handed over for a few years and the council said they couldn't do anything.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I'm not going to be helpful here, but why can't people park a little further away and walk? The danger is usually caused by parents' cars jamming the roads around a school!!

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

People do park on other roads a bit further away, but if you park in the wrong one, you get clamped. Or if you park in a raised paving area, clamped. Or just a certain stretch of one street at one end, clamped.
    It's a two form entry school and it's serving a large area so some children are not within walking area.

9. The Council will eventually adopt the roads but it is usually after a few years. Contact them and find out then they will adopt. In the meantime, you have no legal footing, but the builders may be prepared to do something out of good will or the threat of bad publicity. Perhaps you could approach a parent governor and ask if the Governing Body could write to the builders.

10. then walk a little further maybe
    sorry - but unless parents and children are walking for more than 20 miniutes, i don't see the problem

11. Flora! How on earth could you suggest that the little darlings actually have to walk more than a few yards from the car to school?! [​IMG]