1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Broadband

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by OldRalphy, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hello. I'm new here and I've been lumbered with responsibility for the school's broadband. We are with BT at the moment but I understand there are a fair few complaints about it. Have others found problems with it, and if so, how did you solve them? If we have to change over to get faster broadband I need to make sure it is still good value and involves the minimum fuss. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. What problems are you experiencing? We negotiated a deal with BT for an uncontented 100Mbs, up/down leased line and got it knocked down to £6000(ish) a year by providing our own UTM.

So far, in three years it's only dropped twice, both occasions being fixed with a reboot on the BT router in our server room. Apart from that it's been fine.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

You'll get loads of good advice on Edugeek - more network managers and technical teams on there than on TES.

My guess is that in terms of reliability this will be a local issue - worth talking to nearby schools and businesses for their experiences.

4. Thanks for your fast reply. BT is slower than we want. Unfortunately we don't have a budget for a leased line so we are only looking at fibre broadband.

5. Also, a bit of background would be handy, e.g. school size, town/country etc.