1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School behaviour policy not a deterrent for persistent low level disruptors

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bananatree84, Mar 23, 2016.

1. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Hi I am in KS1 and in my class are about ten persistent low level disruptive children. Being really silly, not following instructions, talking when they have been told to listen, diving onto the carpet instead of walking and sitting on it that sort of thing. The school policy is to move them down the ladder. It goes warning, time out, time out in another class, head teacher letter home. The trouble is they can go down the ladder up to three times a day and it does not have any effect. Some are moved down every day. I obviously have to adhere to school policy but what if it doesn't have any impact on thechild?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Have you asked other teachers what IS effective? Or your HT? If the school behaviour isn't working, then ask what will or what does work.

PS you might want also want to post in primary as well.

3. bananatree84

Thank you. I am a trainee and have asked my class teacher about 3 weeks ago she gave me advice to be less soft and just be persistent and move them down which I really have been but then every day are these ten children are down the ladder and it has no impact. You are right I need to speak with other teachers to see what they do with children in their classes for whom the policy does not bother. I am doing a certificate for children who stay up the ladder all week which I brought in at the beginning of term and those who do get it really appreciate it, maybe I need to communicate this with the parents of the ten and encourage them to encourage their child to earn the certificate?

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Are you sure you are sufficiently expressing your disapproval? The ladder thing should accompany a strict telling off - obviously age appropriate - so that they know you are the voice of authority.

5. bananatree84

It is something I am definitely working on but possibly yes I could improve on that.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are a trainee, what is the classteacher doing to support you? Do you always send them to time out in that other class or sometimes let them off? (Send them every time!) Can you get the other teachers to be really disapproving and stern when these boys arrive? Are there strategies the classteacher uses to prevent the bad behaviour in the first place?

Don't be too hard on yourself. When I was a trainee I had a class who were angels for their usual teacher; everyone said I was lucky to get to teach them. My first lesson by myself, I gave out an A5 sheet per child and almost all immediately made an aeroplane and threw them round the room! There was nothing I could do.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Similar things happen all the time in our local primary. The kids are sick of it.