1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School becoming an academy. What lies ahead!?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by MoraMe, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi:

Be great if anyone can advise... Just finishing my NQT year in a struggling primary school . Got the job thinking they were on the way up. Newish head. However, they scraped satisfactory again in their interim inspection..

So: school's been under a lot of pressure. Teaching Year 6, and big focus and big stress to be above floor with the KS2 results to prevent special measures etc..Tough for a first year!

School's planning to become an academy next year. No sponsor yet. But in consultation, I understand that many schools are becoming an academy in this county. I think this school decided to become one as a pre-emptive measure?

Wondering what could this look like, and what could happen, and how it may affect me. Don't fully understand academies.But I am worried!
    Been some very positive elements to my first year, like supportive colleagues/ middle leader and mentor, and learned lots, despite it being baptism of fire...

However, I don't really respect the way the school is run from above, and the support I get on issues such as behaviour. Its been really tiring with lots of initiatives that are fired from the hip, without properly assessing, prioritising or planning how the teachers can carry out these things in a realistic way.
    Should I stay and ride it, especially since other schools are eventually going this way?

Many thanks!

2. Hi:

Be great if anyone can advise... Just finishing my NQT year in a struggling primary school . Got the job thinking they were on the way up. Newish head. However, they scraped satisfactory again in their interim inspection..

So: school's been under a lot of pressure. Teaching Year 6, and big focus and big stress to be above floor with the KS2 results to prevent special measures etc..Tough for a first year!

School's planning to become an academy next year. No sponsor yet. But in consultation, I understand that many schools are becoming an academy in this county. I think this school decided to become one as a pre-emptive measure?

Wondering what could this look like, and what could happen, and how it may affect me. Don't fully understand academies.But I am worried!
    Been some very positive elements to my first year, like supportive colleagues/ middle leader and mentor, and learned lots, despite it being baptism of fire...

However, I don't really respect the way the school is run from above, and the support I get on issues such as behaviour. Its been really tiring with lots of initiatives that are fired from the hip, without properly assessing, prioritising or planning how the teachers can carry out these things in a realistic way.
    Should I stay and ride it, especially since other schools are eventually going this way?

Many thanks!