1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

#School BBC2 - education is on its knees!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrResource, Nov 20, 2018.

1. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

How depressing! Who would want to be a teacher in times like these! Much respect to the staff of Marlwood, but fighting against the tide is a lonely depressing place to be. Look at the mental health of the staff, let alone the students. As a profession we have been ground down so much it's hard to see what the future holds.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It was indeed a thoroughly depressing episode. Such stress for everyone and the loss of a decent headteacher who just can’t work miracles. The school budget won’t have been helped by needing to pay him off. The Ofsted judgement is like a death knell for the school.

3. Lelly64

Lelly64 New commenter

I am planning to take early retirement at the end of this academic year. I will only be 55 but I’ve had enough and am in the fortunate position to be able to afford it. I was virtually in tears watching this programme and it merely confirmed that I am making the right decision for me. The politicians should hang their heads in shame at what our state education system has become. Disgusting way to treat decent, hardworking people.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Like our school... their results weren't bad. When the school I was at was put in 'special measures' the exam results were well above the nat average. My daughter working in Westminster then in DofE could not believe we had been placed there with the school's record. Of course we were one of the first schools inspected in first 3 weeks of the new Ofsted criteria (which was changed a few months later as I recall as the new criteria wasn't right.) Too late for us alas so I felt for them at the school.
    My student days' friend as she neared the end of her PE teaching life, went on the course for aspiring Ofsted Inspectors. She finished it but on leaving it said she would never ever join it as she couldn't work with the kind of people that were 100% of the cohort on the course!!! Her opinion of them if I printed it would get me reprimanded/banned!!

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

What the program demonstrated to me was the hateful Ofsted who do not help and only judge. The devastation it causes to a school because of Ofsted’s short time frames and the stress it put on staff is the reason no one wants to do the job. The parent that complains of no maths teacher, well smell the coffee and stop listening to the sound bites issued by the DFE. Ok the head probably got a big handout to leave and then went into consultancy but we did not hear what happened to those older staff after this happened.
    Ultimately it demonstrates the unsustainably of the academy system which has a relatively small budget and bring about change in a relatively short time frame.

6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Exactly so, @applecrumblebumble . Maintained sector schools are NOT businesses and nobody should try to run them as such.

Public money ends up in the wrong places.

InkyP and agathamorse like this.
  7. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Senior commenter

I am in Scotland and i can only say i'm sorry

It is by no means perfect but good lord almighty what the hell have the Gov done to my colleagues South of the border, eye opening was not the word

It was all the talk of the staff room today, a completely unwinnable situation

I wanna point out some things that i did find distasteful

1. Executive MAT man travelling between schools calling children "products" and general business language

2. a gratuitous shot of the HT Merc...what he does with his money is his concern

3. Weirdly didn't see Mr MAT or the OFSTED's cars

4. Is it true that budgets are determined on results and intake ?

5. Mention at the end of how the school had improved in many aspects....no mention on whether it received more funding to facilitate this, looked online couldn't see anything

6. MATs seem like a nightmare waiting to happen....or from what i've read already happening

i again can only say sorry

Much love from here, if anything more programmes like this are needed to expose this to a wider audience

8. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Mr MAT was shown in a previous episode - shiny VW. Yep, cynically it was one of the first things I was looking for (based on the number of Jaguars coming in and out of the HQ of our local MAT) was the shiny exec-wagon.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck in your retirement Lelly64. I retired back in May and I've never regretted a day that I've not been at work. In fact, I feel relief that I am not complicit in what our current 'education' system is doing to our students and the long-suffering teaching profession.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Very, very sad. And Deputy Head went too.
    What really struck me was the supply teacher saying he did it as he loves teaching, but it reminds him why he doesn't want a permanent job in teaching.
    This scenario plays out in schools all over the country....and not just those in special measures.

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Depressing, but it is the first school programme that has got my OH, a non teacher, really understanding the stress and pressures of teaching. Hopefully it will make more of the general public appreciate the nonsense that education has become. Thank god I got out. Did anyone else find themselves pleading with the tv screen to the poor humanities teacher to go to the drs and get signed off?

Pageant, Jamvic, agathamorse and 5 others like this.
  12. BelleDuJour

He (humanities teacher) looked drained, sad and broken.

13. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

If they removed the MAT CEO's salary, would that solve the budget deficit in one fell swoop?

agathamorse and thekillers1 like this.
  14. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Better still, delete the CEO. Without a payoff.

15. BelleDuJour

Who's been deleted?
    A Tesser who likes a couple ofcomments above is deleted? Who and why?
    How odd!

thekillers1 likes this.
  16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I am Primary. I watched this programme for the first time last night. When it finished, my non-teaching partner said "How depressing".
    Those were my exact thoughts too.
    Pleased to be out of it.

Jamvic, Shedman, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

But, schools are businesses now, and as we all know, the main aim of a business is to make a profit for it's owners. Nothing else. Everything else is just a means to an end - to make a profit.

EmanuelShadrack and Jamvic like this.
  18. BelleDuJour

The deleted has now been deleted.
    Curioser and curioser.....said Alice.
    Welcome to the crazy world of TES.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No. The CEO is on a maximum of £115,000 per annum. Last year the trust's deficit was over £1,000,000.

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I feared for his general health. His cool outer demeanour seemed to be masking much deeper inner turmoil especially when he spoke of his sleepless nights, his nervousness about his observation and his compulsive tidying up of the room.