1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"School" - BBC2 documentary series

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sadscientist, Nov 7, 2018.

1. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

thekillers1 and sebedina like this.
  2. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

Wasn't aware it was on BBC last night so watched it this morning on iPlayer. Very well made, watchable and a strong party political broadcast for an overhaul of school funding !

Mrsmumbles, steely1 and emerald52 like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Depressing..............
    But will it make any difference?
    I doubt it.
    Heard some nonsense today about making private schools loan their teachers to state schools
    W-T-F?????
    Having worked in both sectors I've seen some of the very best teachers in the very worst state schools, and some of the very worst teachers in the grammar and indie schools.
    Good teachers are few and far between. Experience isn't valued, pay is c-r-a-p, shortages mean anyone with a pulse is taken on toa PGCE and retention is a 4 letter word.
    I could go on but........................

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I just cringe at programmes like this. Depressing. Also full of bull chitters I see on a daily basis here at my place of work.

Why would I want to spend my time watching something I already know about abs makes me angry?

No I was watching Dads Army...

henrypm0, agathamorse and TCSC47 like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I couldn't really see the wisdom of running on a negative budget and using up reserves in the process in order to delay the cuts. Now they seem to be faced with swinging reductions all at the same time, whereas if smaller cuts had been made when needed, it might have been possible to cover at least some of them through early retirement and other processes.

T34 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But Joe & Joanna Public DON'T know all about it - they keep hearing that 'there's more money in education than ever before' and 'academies raise standards'.
    Any programme which tells the truth about the state of education in England these days is to be welcomed.

7. red_observer

I suppose that’s a fair point but don’t expect me to comment!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

On another level,having taught in secondry some 40 years ago the children stil are the same mixed bunch of individuals. I am still convinced we give in too easy to children and they are allowed to contol us.
    The budget is always a perennial problem.When i was SMT back in 2002+ its was fiercly contested issue even in junior school/As techer rep on the Govenors at the time i found myself on the bit responsible for finances,and although i found it absorbing it was so often a choice of this or this with little or no leeway then. The problem i have with TV programmes is so much is missing during the editing.for example who earns what and thier worth. I am sure in reality it was discussed but you left asking a lot of questions.
    I want to know how long it took for the individuals to graffit the whole school and how they got into some of the places they graffitied,and the ramifications for security if they can get to almost any part of the school..heart breaking that teachers had to help clear up all the mess. Yet again its the dedication of teachers to pay out of their own pocket for materials to make a school work due to failures by Goverment,both local and central.
    I would, in these sort of programmes ,like to see ordinary children portrayed rather than the problem ones and how they cope,enjoy,undertake and survive in such environments.
    As to teaching we saw little, as most of the empasis is on the pastoral side dealing with children with problems and not on the quality of the education.Why on earth did the girls need to colour thir hands and fingers when learning about river mouths, esturies and river formation. In the slightly distant past I used to teach this in primary lessons.I t was tackled through modelling, not felt tips.

T34 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

An unpopular opinion: schools do not need even more money.

The problem is quite obvious: schools have to do too much. This is the problem.

BelleDuJour, henrypm0 and peter12171 like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I always hate that argument about all teachers in Independent schools must be amazing.

In my experience they are not and most of them wouldn't last 5 minutes with (proper") kids in a state school.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

State schools do not need their teachers

But some of the money would be nice.

Mrsmumbles and Scintillant like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Setting aside what schools need, which is undoubtedly many things,
    I think the public needs better insight into how schools actually are
    A good point was made the other day on that thread about Noel Fielding's vacuous "you look like a supply teacher" comment, that public perception of schools is not really a perception at all, rather an extrapolation from own experience. Which may have been years ago.
    So the public are always going to be a step or two behind what is actually happening.
    If a TV show can cut through that interference of personal experience, then that's great.

It scares me sometimes that we send our developing and vulnerable children into a Mad Hatter realm which is in fact unknown and probably inconceivable to many of their parents.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And the money is misdirected to huge director salaries instead of being spent on classroom resources (which includes us).

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

red_observer likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I actually never watch any programme on TV about schools - I just don't.

16. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Sure.

Most of these "directors" are working in jobs that should not exist.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. red_observer

I’ve just been thinking about that post again! The majority of people I know and meet think teachers are moaners and lucky to have so many holidays. I bet the majority of those the programme would actually NOT show any or much sympathy towards teachers. Honestly.

emerald52 likes this.
  18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Lol KB. I'm merely going to laugh at you. Apologies if I'm missing any sarcasm.

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder the MAT bigwigs make of some of the teachers' comments?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just watched. First question is 'Board of Directors'? ***.. Are these paid positions as they would be in industry? If they are then straight away there is a saving. Get rid.

Plus too many of the chosen kids were all about getting their 15 minutes of fame. What about showing the kids who are actually doing their best and working hard?

Mrsmumbles likes this.