1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School bans talking in corridors

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

2. BG54

BG54 New commenter

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Obviously corridors need to be calm, with a sense of purpose when children move from one end of the school to the other.
    I'm not sure that total silence is quite necessary though. It denies children the right to socialbility. I'm wondering whether a denial of the right to talk to your friends between lessons could contribute to mental health issues.
    I'm also wondering how teachers manage their transition between lessons if they have to police silence in the corridors.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

No doubt, if this school could get away with it, the kids would be made to wear brown shirts, and goose-step between each classroom.

5. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

Idiots.

Missbubbleblue and Jamvic like this.
  6. PintPlease

PintPlease New commenter

What's the point of bringing in a rule which a) has a highly debatable impact on the learning and b) is totally unenforceable without every member of staff patrolling every inch of every corridor at every lesson change.
    Making rules which staff struggle to enforce just undermines their efforts to enforce the important ones.

7. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I know a school where the staff aren't allowed to talk to each other in corridors. Students are allowed to.

Missbubbleblue and agathamorse like this.
  8. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

Tell the Guardian the name of the school, we need rid of these people.

Missbubbleblue and FrankWolley like this.
  9. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

"Students will leave school in silence following the conclusion of their last lesson."
    From the letter to parents.
    Yeah right. They really haven't thought this through have they?

Missbubbleblue, Jamvic and phlogiston like this.
  10. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Missbubbleblue and Jamvic like this.
  11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

So our response to young people who can not discuss and listen, is to ban them from discussing and listening. Does this mean they will not be allowed any social interaction for up to 7 hours apart from 20 minutes or so.
    Adults just don't work like that, why do we impose such ridiculous rules on young people?

What will be the reward for adults who do not enforce this?

12. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I would not send my children there. Making friends is an important life skill and these days many young people are spending less and less time having face to face conversations with people.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Sound like an idea from a management which has run out of ideas on how to prevent disruption in the classroom.

Missbubbleblue, peter12171 and drek like this.
  14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Its a bit late for an April Fools Day joke. The creative ones will learn some form of sign language and make a farce of the whole concept of pretending to be a silent Holy order.

15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

My friend went to an English Grammar in the 50s and they had to be quiet in the corridors.
    Surely all the students are silent anyway; aren't they all just looking at their phones as they walk from one class to another?

needabreak likes this.
  16. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Over on edutwitter, the land of trads, they are vigorously defending and supporting this. Headteacher after headteacher weighing in to say why this is a good thing.

You might not worry too much, but what has happened is that MATs are only hiring traditional headteachers and so school after school are using:

Silent corridors
    Zero tolerance behaviour management
    Hostile rhetoric 'pre-off-rolling'
    Off-rolling
    Hidden 'selection' strategies
    Non-hiring of experienced teachers (wanted: NQT or RQT)
    High proportions of NQTS, UQTs and HLTAs
    MAT wide PPT 'colours', text books, materials, etc.
    Narrowing of curriculum to spend more time on EBACC
    Ultra obsessive staff rules: no visible piercings, heel heights, skirt lengths
    Top heavy salary structures with large amounts of well paid at the top (and above in MAT land) and large amounts of low paid at the bottom
    Lower amounts of SEND and lower P8 pupils
    Club membership of PiXL
    Purchasing materials from companies owned by MAT sponsors and investors

It’s a recipe list that gets longer and longer. But as RSCs hand more and more schools to MATs controlled by trads so it will continue to grow.

Missbubbleblue, Kamit and agathamorse like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

A well-worn management strategy; impose an unworkable rule, and them blame teachers for being unable to enforce it.

18. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

I went to a convent school in the 70s where the expectation was that we walked in silence along the corridors and through the cloister. I don't remember it being regarded as particularly draconian or difficult but of course we did talk to each other if there were no adults around.

19. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter