1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School asking me to break supply contract.

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by macnmacn, Oct 19, 2019.

1. macnmacn

macnmacn New commenter

Hi everyone
    I am in a long term supply placement through a supply agency which runs until January. The school have asked me to stay but want me to apply directly to them to avoid agency fees. I don't have a hard copy of my agency contract but am sure there must be a clause forbidding me from doing the agency out of a big fat roll of money for the school to keep me on.
    I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position?
    I have already made it clear to the agency that I will not be working for them once this contract is finished as I am not happy with their drive to exploit bit me and the school.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Personally not happened to me but Mrs Cazorla has been in this bind. She did do it but ended up leaving the school a few terms later for the usual reasons given in Workplace Dilemmas.

It boiled down to her lying on behalf of the school and that does not sit easily with her conscience. It wasn't her contract that was being broken but the one between school and agency. Also if the Head is going to be fast and loose with contracts what about terms and conditions with the 'proper' staff?

So I'd say don't do it secretly as you could well need the parasites in the not too distant future. Let the school HR sort it out (even though they'll be useless)

macnmacn likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Excellent advice from JJC. If you are happy to work directly for the school - you'll be able to (re)join TPS for your pension for one thing - don't be pressured into telling lies to save the school the fee it will probably have to pay the agency. Just say yes you'll be happy to become a direct employee.

But maybe we are jumping to conclusions? An agency can't stop you applying directly for a job vacancy at the school nor can it stop the school employing you directly. The issue is that the agency's contract usually says the school has to pay a fee to the agency when that happens. I imagine the school knows that. But unless they have specifically said they are going to try to avoid paying it maybe we are making assumptions? Perhaps they are well aware of their contractual obligation and intend to pay the agency?

macnmacn and JohnJCazorla like this.