1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School asking for confidential info?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Homeeducator2011, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Homeeducator2011

Homeeducator2011 New commenter

Hello
    I am off sick and the school requested me to send my medical certificate to 4 different people, which seems a bit too much to me. Can I refuse to send it? Who do I have to send it to? Many thanks

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Have you asked who the four are? I'm not being facetious. My guess is HR, OH, and the HT and payroll. That's my guess.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Send it to the HT marked "confidential"
    End of.
    They are then obliged to simply inform all "relevant" parties that they hold correct and pertinent documentation to cover your leave of absence. You might have to accept that it is HR who routinely hold these files. Check with your HT if you really need to know, but be assured HR staff are trained in confidentiality and correct storage of information. HR staff hold a whole world of private information on staff-criminal histories, medical details, pay progression documents, family contacts, everything. They do not read them and conclude anything or share anything.
    Don't actually refuse, because refusal winds up.
    Having done the above, if more is requested, simply refer to what you have already sent. State that you authorize only the relevant and minimum amount of info to process your absence to be shared with the relevant people.
    Job done.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    JohnJCazorla, BelleDuJour and CWadd like this.
  4. Homeeducator2011

Thank you very much for this, will do so.
    I know who the 4 are, 2 among them are clearly not needed I guess
    What does OH stand for?

5. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

It's a bit strange. May I ask how long you have been off for.

OH is Occupational Health.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O-ps send it "signed for" if you wont starve from the cost of it. That is basic wisdom in this situation, that's all.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Occupational Health. The school should refer you to them, as they will help by making suggestions as to what the school need to do to help you adjust back to work.

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Occupational Health.
    You ought not to be sendin stuff to them unless they have spoken to you directly.
    OH are your friend, and there is a certain stage in your absence procedure where your HT is obliged to refer you to them. Check your absence policy if health wise you are able to sit and read it carefully.
    Don't worry if not.
    If your absence is to continue you can expect that your HT will send you a letter, not an email, explaining how this works.
    To cut a long story short, this will be a good thing for you.
    Cross that bridge when you come to it, if it comes to that.

Edit
    Oops-two of us helping the same way at the same time!

BTW I wouldn't make much of the HT requesting you send stuff fourfold. It's an attitude of expedience/ devoid of compassion/saving pennies-if you do it, she/he doesn't have to.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

phone school (HR) tomorrow, this is bs. HR deal with this kind of thing, you're sick and all you need to do is hand the sicknote to them. This tells me (and you I hope) the kind of school you work in.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Homeeducator2011

Thank you very much for all the advice. All my documents are in school so i cannot check the absence policy.. I will post my document to the HT tomorrow. (They had asked me to email it...)

agathamorse likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would scan it and then email as an attachment.

Then keep the hard copy yourself.

agathamorse, Pomza and Stiltskin like this.