1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School advertising two jobs, unsure if both exist

Discussion in 'Independent' started by anon3303, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Dear All
    Just wondering if anyone has experience of this:
    A School has advertised 2 posts (one HoD & one Teacher). However, I'm pretty certain that there's only one job available (the HoD, which I'd like to apply for). What I'm wondering is if there's any point of taking all the time/stress of applying/being called for interview/lesson obs, when it seems as if they will appoint internally and then fall back on the Teacher job to fill the vacancy they have?
    I assume if they appoint the HoD internally, they'll be no time to recuit anyone in the Summer Term for the teacher post as they have had to hand-in their letter of resignation at Easter.
    If they weren't to appoint internally, why would they need to advertise the Teacher post?
    [I'm probably a little skeptical of Schools and jobs, as a student trying to find my first job, I would regularly turn-up for jobs and there in-fact be no job at all].
    Thanks

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Hi there,
    When I was applying for NQT posts this happened the other way round - the school advertised both the HoD and teacher post, and I applied for the teacher role. I was informed that I had been shortlisted for interview and would hear 'soon' about when the interviews would be held, only to be told a few days later that the post no longer existed. They must have expected to apply the HoD internally and ended up applying externally instead.
    So go for it - even if there are internal applicants, you may be better than all of them!

3. If an internal candidate was already lined up the school would not waste money and time advertising the post. It is likely that they have someone, on the staff, who could fill in the HoD post for a term/year if they dont find the right person this time. Or its possible that they have 2 posts to fill.
    The only thing for certain is that you will not get the job if you do not apply.