1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Action Plus

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I don't know about the legalities but every child I have ever worked with on SAP has had an IEP. SA did not have IEPs.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have IEP's for SA and SA+

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

In my experience we have used IEPs but searching on the 'net I found this:
    In its most recent SEN Update* the DfES notes that many schools and local authorities are confused about the status of Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and whether or not they are always necessary. It advises that IEPs are one method by which the processes of target setting, planning and review could be carried out.
    Planning and monitoring provision for individual pupils
    The advice states that IEPs are not a statutory requirement. Where schools have a policy of individual planning and recording for all pupils then the child with SEN should not need an IEP. The national strategies provide examples of how to record interventions as part of class lesson plans with a record of the child’s progress (the outcomes of the intervention) being recorded in the same way for all children.

I got this info from:
    http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/alternatives-ieps-331
    When I tried to follow links to get it from the original source it all became difficult because of sites being closed down.

4. Thanks thats a great help

5. Our SA+ have IEPs but our SA children have Group targets because they receive an additional gudied group session (if the need is learning). There is no difference though because all children will have targets in Literacy and Numeracy.

6. Yes there is a legal obligation under the Code of Practice. http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/sen%20code%20of%20practice.pdf see page 54.

When Ofsted came into our school they wanted to track pupils including their IEPs. When a school think a child needs to progress from SA+ to an application for formal statutory assessment for a 'Statement', evidence of differentiated provision has to be provided in the form of annotated IEPs or Group Behaviour or Education Plans.

HTH.

7. Code of Practice is not statutory. IEPs are only a 'legal requirement' for Statemented pupils. For others they are just one option.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Provision Mapping rather than IEPs for SA and SA+

9. Hi Msz
    Provision mapping sounds interesting. I'm in reception and have some children who need something 'different' occasionally so this is identified on my planning. Is this 'provison mapping' or do you do something else. I am interested in options other than IEPs for SA and SA+. Should say though that our SENCo came back from update last week and said SA and SA+ were going to be merged and renamed! So might wait for more info before I change anything!
    Thanks.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

11. Thanks Msz. I'll have a look at that.
    Lily