1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Accreditation

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RUS1, May 8, 2019.

1. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

'Seems to be two schools of thought here. Those that value accreditation and those who see it as an academically pointless exercise.'

Is the pun intended??

Yes there are indeed two types of schools. There are the schools that value it as an exercise in improvement and take it, and the visiting teams recommendations, seriously.

Then there are the schools that just want to be able to say we are accredited by . . . . .? and give us your money!

The problem identified by the op is how do you tell which is which? Many owners and SMT/SLT are good at hiding their true motives!

Funnily enough I don't think it is ever completely pointless, in the schools in which I have been involved in accreditation staff have often used it as a stick to beat SMT with at various times, it always useful to have an indpendent assessment of the school - good or bad!

Karvol and dumbbells66 like this.
  2. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Now that is interesting. In my present location, the number of schools - so many of them relatively new and small in size - is a huge factor in increasing the fees the parents are faced with in the larger schools which are undersubscribed and struggling to meet their financial commitments. Of course, I would suspect that even with larger enrollment there may be enthusiasm from within to maintain these higher fees.

Sure, anyone is entitled to open a school and offer choices. Many parents decide purely on the fees charged and competition pushes down prices . . . in theory, as in practice that isn't happening as schools have fixed costs that need meeting. Budgets are very tight and some of the larger schools have had a slow but noticeable drip drip of falling staff numbers (losing that part time teacher or employing a local teacher to run pre-school classes).

The larger schools in theory offer the better education as they are staffed by qualified professionals from English speaking countries, trained to a high standard, and following highly valued curriculum. They offer more options to the students. I can just see that being eroded and the pressure from owners/investors to make a profit v the requirement to present themselves as high quality learning institutions doing the right thing, must be intense.

The smaller school employ non native English speakers for their teaching staff for obvious reasons and staff who have transferred over time to the larger schools tell about the poor leadership and lack of quality. Yet there seems nothing to control the spread.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I must disagree with my amphibious friend, frogusmaximus. At the moment, the pachyderm is teaching in a school that is being run at a loss. Fortunately the owners seem to have deep pockets and the student numbers are heading in the right direction, but I have the strong feeling that making a huge pile of cash is not the real aim or purpose of the school. In other words, some (no, definitely not all) business people who have already made their enormous fortunes are not really interested in owning a school as a way to make even more profits. (After all, you would not buy an expensive car or a luxurious house as a way to make money.)

Those who have had the misfortune to work at the ever-expanding empire of rotten apple schools In Qatar will tell a very different story, of course. Madam A*** always rents the school buildings because her real aim is profit, with the bare minimum of financial outlay. There is no real commitment to quality education or educational standards or anything beyond her bank balance.

4. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Depending on the real estate the school occupies buying one could actually be a great profit making exercise.

Also, don't forget the tax break/money laundering opportunities owning a school could pride...