1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scholarships for kids a benefit against pay?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kamon, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:13 AM.

1. kamon

kamon New commenter

I'm currently in discussions about my salary - I work for a small, well-funded international school in the Americas with high fees, have 2 kids on full scholarships, am deputy head of junior school responsible for 9 classes/ 160 students but have been split between teaching a full class and management role over the past 3.5 years. I have 14 years of international experience across 3 schools.
    The last 4 years since being promoted here I've been so focused on the demands of my two roles and having young kids of my own that I've not been thinking clearly about my career and compensation, just getting through the tasks directly ahead of me...

My two questions:
    - Are full scholarships for a teacher's children a standard benefit in international schools? This shouldn't be held against pay, right? ("Yes, you contribute an enormous amount to the school, but having your 2 kids here is a HUGE benefit, worth a great amount...")

- What would be a normal % difference between a "main-class teacher" and a person in my role? (Most of our international teachers have between 1/3 and 1/2 of my teaching experience, and no additional responsibilities.)

Thanks in advance for your input and time to reply.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

To answer your points:

1. I'd say yes, it is - and no, not measured against pay. If it was, then I would expect that single teachers would get a different benefit (they don't.) Schools though would argue that your kids take up a place which would otherwise be charged, so you are costing them $60,000 or whatever in lost fees. Some countries are starting to tax these benefits (China, I'm looking at you) so they might begin to be counted.
    2. Amysmum is in a similar position to you. I'd expect, first of all, that you would be out of the classroom full time. Balancing a class teaching load with management is difficult - in some ways, I suspect this should be the first thing you push ahead of pay. Then, have a look at the pay rates for comparable schools in the UK / US to see how your pay compares - I'd be expecting you to be at least equal to that, if not more.

3. kamon

kamon New commenter

Thanks for the swift reply.
    We have several other staff with children on scholarships but school directors don't like anyone to be comparing/ discussing their own confidential pay and benefits - so I cannot ask or refer to what others here get in any negotiation.
    I am looking at published pay scales for UK/ US etc but really interested in other private international schools.
    We've had some reasons (sickness/ pregnancy/ emergency sudden return home) that have meant I've been unable to be full-time in my management role though it is always intended. Then parents/owners don't want the disruption of a third teacher for a group in a year, so I end up staying on in the classroom.

4. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

My present school is very transparent about benefits. I think it is poor form if schools are not.
    2 x children free schooling and full package of benefits for them (flights every year, free transport, cost of living allowance, medical insurance) 3+ children are free schooling but benefits are scaled back eg flight allowance is only every 2 years for extra children and I think they may have to pay something to medical insurance. Bus to school is not free for extra children, but they can travel to school with parents anyway. All benefits are tax free (school pays all our tax anyway)
    The school encourages teachers with kids to apply as although they are considerably more expensive they stay longer.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would say this is your biggest problem. Decent schools have a very open and transparent pay and benefits structure. When schools hide this, it always causes issues.

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

You asked for points of comparison. So, while this is a little bit like comparing citrus (I'm in Spain) with cigars (you're in the Americas)....

1.At our school, teachers with children at the school are paid the same as teachers with no children - so the fact that you have children at the school shouldn't be a factor (unless, some staff at your school are paying school fees for their children).

2.At our school, the Deputies are paid some 40% more than a standard classroom teacher, and have about a 30% teaching workload. However, experience (or, indeed, qualifications) doesn't count for anything (though the school does give a pay rise every 5 years of employment).