1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Schl refuses soap for kids as they waste it

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1ms111, Dec 18, 2018.

1. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Yep. School has been refusing to give our kids soap . I've had a three week battle to get it in the toilets!!!! In thatttime allathe hard work spent getting the chn into the habit of using it to mmeant tthey had three weeks getting outoof the habit.

So now we have an infection going around and only 8 kids in class today with few members of staff in our keystage off too .

Massive health and safety welfare concern is it not?

Just need to vent as I lay here with a fever!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL
    We have soap in our toilets.
    The dispensers almost never need refilling because almost none of the children use it!

Not that much of a concern to be honest.

3. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Massive concern. Just been put in special measures and they can't get these basics hygiene practices right. My H&S friend can't believe we're still open after all I tell him about the place . Pharmasicst told us today to report to environmental health!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to DFE in toilets in all schools "hand washing facilities are provided within or in the immediate vicinity of every toilet..."

School might argue though that as the word 'soap' isn't actually mentioned you could have washing facilities of running water only.

5. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Not good. I'm sure it must cost hardly anything when bulk bought. Even more risk of picking up germs from not-properly-clean hands (More of a risk when they had soap, because it will have been used on at least some occasions!)

Stock up on the Vitamin C...

1ms111 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

If the school has just gone in to special measures, I would suspect there are far, far more important things for SLT to worry about than soap in toilets!

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If a school is on special measures maybe it is unruly.
    And the kind of school where misuse of washrooms is more costly than getting the soap in the first place, and that would include spilling it everywhere, scooping it up to welly about in class, drawing on mirrors with it, making paper parcels of it to lob in break time etc etc.
    I've worked in such places, where it would make eminent sense to simply eliminate the soap. Where you'd bolt down your own board pens too if, there were a way.
    I've also worked in places where the washrooms had freshly cut flowers standing around.

That aside, I did hear a story recently where a primary HT was asking parents to provide toilet paper, in effect to save the school money, and had written to all parents imploring them to help-it represented a real saving to that HT. So presumably not buying soap could equally be a conscious saving.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

did that problem exist when bars of soap were used rather than liquid? or foam?

pepper5 likes this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and don't let anyone persuade you that the gel things are a suitable substitute, they are not.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and would it have taken so much longer to type school rather than schl?

11. caterpillartobutterfly

The bars of soap in my primary school were horrible.
    No one who cared about hygiene touched them!

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

didn't waste them though! Each bar lasted a year at least!

13. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

14. caterpillartobutterfly

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I was teaching in Qatar, it was quite common for there to be no water in our block of classrooms. Poor (or non-existent) maintenance.

16. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

There are ways to stop them 'agitating' the soap bar more than 4-5 times.

17. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

You must be kidding, it costs a flipping fortune! But certainly not something I'd cut back on, the risk of sharing infection is too great. Norovirus, anyone...?!

18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

N

19. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Maybe the 'o' key sticks on the keyboard.

20. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

I have bottles of hand sanitiser in various drawers and shelves around my classroom. If a child returns from the toilet with suspicious zoominess, they get a quick splat. It costs 59p a bottle from boots and, after being hospitalised for quincy (child inflicted) a couple of years ago, I am more than happy to splash out.

There are many schools that don't provide adequate basics, unfortunately you sometimes have to help out when your own health is involved.