1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schemes of work if anyone is interested?!!!!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Becalina, Oct 16, 2006.

1. I currently pay for a dedicated blog using Typepad and would like to develop that in conjunction - to avoid wasting the resource.

Thanks for the links, I don't think they need fancy names. What do you dream of students doing with a blog, perhaps we can put our heads together and see if we can make it a reality? Sounds utopic, but isn't that a good thing?! :)

Kind regards, Richard

2. Lovely images. Perhaps you could encourage your students and others to review them? Then there would be reflection on the part of the photographer. The reviews would need to be added in the blog next to the relevant image.

Just an idea.

3. That was the general. Instant peer review, plus a practical introduction to publishing.

The biggie goes a bit like this.

A network of blogs of each school in the borough. Students in, say, an art class, post their best work and review that of other kids in the borough, who they would never normally meet.
    Their work would have meaning because it was communicating, as opposed to merely being an object of assessment. Something they are obliged to produce.
    The social implications of this are unpredictable, but couldn't be bad, and the possible effects on student enthuisiasm are fairly obvious.

Then.

You nag, badger and blackmail, say Tate Modern, into endorsing the network by putting a link on its site. In the case of TM, they are in the process of starting phase 2 of the building, which will include a venue and an enormous LCD wall which could be the venue for regular exhibitions of the school blogwork. This would be worth seeing, especially for the parents, who would then find themselves going to TM in the same way that they would attend a school performance. And TM, like many huge institutions, has a heavy community brief which they must be seen to address.
    In the past, school exhibitions have always been finicky and troublesome to produce and in general have less return on investment than the school play.

A system like this could change all that, and provide talented teenagers with the global imprimatur of a leading institution. As well as Status and a common forum with their contemporaries and neighbours.

On a smaller scale, the potential of a blog as a class tool must surely be enormous. Why NOT one per pupil? I know. The middle class kids would inevitably benefit more than the working class.

That IS a problem. Until the Colonel Ghaddaffi's 100 Buck clockwork laptop hits the streets, that is.

But assuming any computer use at all runs into the same problem.

4. Great ideas and practical issues. Let me know if you want some help. kind regards, Richard

5. If you want to get some reviewing action of my students' shots it would be great. There's a pile to be posted soon.
    It would get Gordon Brown off my back, for a start.

Just to drone on a bit.
    The way it might work in a community education context is interesting.
    Because the work would pile up over the years, it would also provide much needed publicity for course. But more than that, it would actually be an educational resource in itself, open to the Council Tax payers who subsidise it.
    The course would therefore be partly self-accountable. In theory, it might be possible to eliniate an entire level of the paperwork devoted to monitoring and assessment. But we'd get over it.

There is a Caribbean Cookery class run by our mob.
    A blog of that class might not only include nice pictures of food (creating a nice project for my digifoto students) but also could branch out into examinations and debates about ingredients. And once you start on spices, for instance, you are dealing with much more than mere cookery.

With the right grant, a team of West Indian mothers from south london might find themselves on a plane to the Seychelles to swap heritage.

You get the picture...

6. hello... sorry if you've been inundated.. but if it is at all possible, I would be interested in seeing your SoW!! I am a PGCE Media Studes teacher, just finding my feet now!

My email is pstone@talk21.com

many many thanks.......

7. jooly19@hotmail.com

Thank you!

I'm putting a website together at the moment - I'll post the link when it's done - will be full of resources by after xmas hopefully.....

8. "88 | Posted by: richardgent at 10 Dec 2006 21:19
    WWII posters... mmm... that would be...

www.mediaedu.co.uk"

They walk a tightrope between terror and nostalgia.

The use of fear and then uninhibited heroism and glorification of the homeland.

Scare them or make them brave... And create those two reactions in juxtaposition. Would this would have reduced all impact after a time? And so would people have become even more numbed than they were already?

Was there a policy which posters were exhibited next to each other? It seems unlikely, but some of the wartime regulations were at least as convoluted.