1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scheme Heroes and Villains

Discussion in 'English' started by rayshel, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a text I could use for the scheme of Heroes. I have poems and media and other resources but jus can't seem to think of a short story/excerpt from a novel. Its for a lower ability class??

2. Harry Potter? First one is quite short and opens up a lot of debate around the idea of heroism.

3. What about looking at real life heroes and then linking this to comic book heroes like Spiderman and Batman?
    If you're focussing on a lower ability class comics are great. Look at how the comic book scenes, pictures are used- main characters are central to the frame, connotations of colour, size, stereotyping, zoom in-out,etc.

I would start small and build big- comic book frames can help as they can be used as a basis for planning and mapping.

You can ask pupils to create their own heroes/villains (look at characterisation), create scenarios, special powers- by looking at each individually pupils are creating the basis for an extended writing piece.

I wrote a scheme of work around this idea using The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen as a starting point.

4. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

We teach Heroes and Villains and we / I use: Beowulf, The Knight from Canterbury Tales, Macbeth, Dick Turpin and then we look at Batman and The Joker. These are all extracts rather than whole texts.