1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

schema help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jseddon1, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jseddon1

jseddon1 New commenter

Hi all
    We have a child in our setting aged 3years who spends most of his time wanting or trying to plug in and out electrical equipment eg. cd player, lap top etc. Has anyone any ideas on how we could channel this interest ? Child in question not interested in anything that resembles a child's toy or piece of equipment would need to be adult like.

2. Keys into padlocks? Unlocking little boxes with locks?

3. You might set out an 'interest table' with large pieces of machinery such as bits out of old washing machines, insides of wireless etc. put real screwdrivers, nuts and bolts and screws etc with this. I've seen it done in a day nursery and the interest from some otherwise rowdy boys was fantastic. Needs supervision though, at least to start with.
    Also you might do a 'treasure basket' idea with three or four boxes filled with (as above, keys and padlocks) or broken clocks or even plugs and plug sockets - I think this would have to be alongside a strong message about not playing with real plugs!

4. jseddon1

jseddon1 New commenter

Thankyou so much for your ideas. Will put these to our supervisor tomorrow and start collecting resources!

5. jseddon1

jseddon1 New commenter

Thankyou for your suggestion. Will start to collect reources and put this to my supervisor tomorrow.