1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scheduling classes

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Oct 16, 2018.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been tutoring for a number of years but I am taking it more seriously this academic year in terms of number of students. I was wondering what times other tutors see their students, how many you see in an evening?
    I currently have 1 hour slots with 15 mins between clients to drive to the next house. The traffic around 5pm here is gridlock so I plan a slot 4:30 till 5:30 to avoid the worse of the traffic. The problem with that is if I wanted to see a client before that the time would be 3:15 till 4:15 which I currently don't have anyone who wants that time (I assume it's too earlier). I have filled the slots 5:45 till 6:45 and 7 till 8. Again nobody seems interested in the 8:15 till 9:15 slot, obviously I knew that's pretty late but I didn't know if it may suit a college student or adult. So don't know if it was ever realistic to fit 5 sessions in after school, should I adjust to 4 sessions to make the times a bit better? I would still have the 5pm traffic problem. What times do you have your lessons?
    Sarah

2. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

On the hour between 4 & 8, students come to me.

3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I usually start on the hour or half past the hour. i have had tutees from 7.30 to 8.30pm, but that seems to be the latest that I have ever had over the past 10 years!
    If you teach sixth formers it may be possible to start earlier e.g. 2.30pm to 3.30pm so they can fit in a lesson before younger siblings arrive home.
    However i don't like travelling to more than 2 tutees in an evening, as if the middle one cancels it may not be worth going home again.
    Going on-line or tutoring from your home for some sessions may make it possible to take on more tutees.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I work from home. If I'm full I have about 15 min between each one. I do primary secondary and also adults. Primaries often come straight from school if possible, it just depends where I have a space.
    Working from home gives you more flexibility, if I've got a gap in the middle I have my dinner.

5. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I think that depends on individual circumstances, I won't entertain it for a few reasons, the main one being that I live alone and therefore for the younger students that means a parent accompanying the student which may also mean bringing other siblings along and I'm not running a creche!

The first of my "evening" lessons is usually at 4pm, subsequent start times depend on the travelling time between lessons, the latest I've given were a few 8-45pm to 9-45pm at the height of the Maths 9-1 "panic" in April/May 2017 but generally the latest start is about 7-45pm to 8pm, giving a maximum of 4 lessons per evening.

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Your pattern only fits five in if you can find both someone who can do 3.15 (too close on school finishing, really) and someone who doesn't think 8.15 is too late. Maybe it's better to only aim for four, rather than potentially end up with only three out of five slots filled.
    Other things to consider:
    If you have the odd pupil that can do early, straight from school or sixth former with no last period, fit five slots in that night, but only aim for four on other nights.
    If you have two students living close to each other, you could avoid the traffic gridlock by having them adjacent across that time, and walking from one to the other (if you park on their drives, you might need to ask nicely about leaving the car there).
    For a younger student, a 45 minute slot may be enough, and then it's easier to fit more in.
    Try and avoid too much rigidity about the slots. Someone might say no to 3.15, but it's worth finding out if they could do 3.30, and then looking at either a shorter session, or asking everyone else if they would be able to shift back by 15 minutes. It takes a bit of negotiation, but people may not mind: my daughter's piano lesson time was provisional at the start of term, until we found out how long the sixth-former after her was going to take to get home.

7. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

You don't need to have the same schedule every day, mine is different each day depending on when students are available and distance between them. I have some 6th form students who are able to do earlier lessons some days. I think 4 lessons is probably the maximum unless you teach A level and have some students able to do earlier lessons. In the past I have had some morning lessons with students who were not in school.

8. jm900419

jm900419 New commenter

This is great. You have many years of tutoring experience. I want to suggest you that you should work from home, you can start your online home tutoring service. Working from home provide you more flexibility. You can find an online website for help you. Because nowadays online tutoring is so much in demand.

9. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have done this for about seven years and can count on one hand the amount of times I've been asked to do online. I don't do it. It's just not for me

10. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I work when I have a request. So Weekends currently Saturday only, evenings 4-6pm and afternoons usually 12-1pm currently.

11. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Thanks so much for your replies. Only having a 45 mins lesson at 3:30 maybe a good idea, which I hadn't thought of especially for younger students also the getting two students who live very close around the 5pm gridlock.
    I am always very keen not to ask my students to change times, but as a few people have mentioned it is perfectly normal for music teachers and tutors to do this, lots to think about. Thanks for the help.
    Sarah

12. ninariley

ninariley New commenter

I tutor online as well as one-to-one - from home. This has worked extremely well. I use Skype and Twiddla for the online lessons. I was resistant to teaching online at first, but I am so glad I tried it; my students love it.
    Parents will not ask for tutoring online as they believe it does not work. However, once they give it a try they are surprised at the results. I have about ten students online.

I now only work Monday to Thursday from 4.30 onwards. I also only tutor in small groups - max 3.

What do you teach?

13. TheLondonTutor

TheLondonTutor New commenter

In order to fit more students in, and avoid the time and hassle of driving from student to student I recommend either online tutoring or having clients book 2 hours back to back.

I’ve had a lot of success with getting 2-hour bookings because I offer a discounted rate when they book 2 hours instead of just 1 hour :)

ninariley likes this.
  14. ninariley

ninariley New commenter

I also do 2 hour slots. It works very well as I also offer a discounted rate for groups.