1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scheduled part-time schooling?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Katzenjammer, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Lead commenter

I would be genuinely interested to see what people make of this, perhaps irrespective of their views on current Covid policies. It's more about trying to solve a problem which I could see becoming larger and larger in scale as the weeks go on, and more about tactics than grand strategy.

The youngest member of my household was quarantined for two weeks in late September/early October, having been a close contact of a confirmed Covid case. Yesterday, on the third working day after the scheduled return to school, the quarantine was renewed for a further two weeks, close contact [sharing a lunch table] with another Covid case having been established to have taken place on the first day back.

This interested, hard-working young student will thus have missed four weeks of classroom education from the first half term in year seven at a new school; and given that there seems to be little possibility of the situation altering materially until a vaccine is in wide distribution, I see no reason why this cycle shouldn't repeat itself for the whole of year seven, such that actual attendance at school could be as low as 15%.

Given the enormous extent and vast experience of the teaching and ex-teaching membership of this forum, could anyone suggest solutions - such as scheduled part-time schooling for socially-distanced half-classes perhaps - which would help to maintain a significant face-to-face proportion of schooling for these younger students? The school itself has made extraordinary efforts to continue its teaching online for the quarantined students [I am writing this after grappling with Hegarty Maths and negative numbers, a painful experience at my age], and I don't see how they could do more.

But there seems to me to be a real danger of this young student - and hundreds of peers across the nation - disengaging from a school education which has only barely begun. Any ideas? I can think of dozens of problems, but no solutions.

Sally006 likes this.
  2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Junior Bedlam is in the final year of A levels at a large 6th form college. The college divided the whole cohort into group A and B. They attend alternate weeks so only 50% of students are in the building. On their ‘week off’ they attend online lessons.
    12 students have recently tested positive despite these measures. There will likely be many more asymptotic. It can’t continue. It’s unfair to expect teachers and staff to work in unsafe conditions.

Sally006, LiamD and Catgirl1964 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I wish all kids could just not go to school and draw pictures and play computer games and trash the garden all day every day until Covid has cleared up, and not have to worry about repeatedly serving themselves from a botched plate of half cooked tasks on Show My Homework with eyes glassed over in tedium, or worry about what to do with the thing once they have struggled to complete it mindlessly, and then I wish they could just repeat the whole school year next year like normal.

Instead they are puppeted conduits for artificially forced edu-value from all the teachers who are still being paid but nonetheless wonder what the heck is going on every time a kid sends back an end of unit assessment which is actually an upside down photo of their cat's ear.

And that's year 11 Maths.

4. Katzenjammer

Thank you for sharing your views. Most enlightening; I will read it to Katzenjammer Minimus, I'm sure it'll be a big help. And do you draw a salary from the system you so obviously despise?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Katzenjammer

What's your [and/or Junior Bedlam's] view on what the teachers make of this - workload, stress, funding etc? Some kind of Box and Cox like this is an obvious solution, but [1] staffing it and [2] could it work for a whole school? [Katzenjammer Minimus's school is 1200...…].

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have been unbelieveably lucky so far - no positive cases yet.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What part of "I wish..." do you not understand?

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

50% of schools have at least one pupil sent home because of covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54614111

I have great admiration for those who are going in to teach every day (less for those who go in to sit in an office).

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am just wondering how next year's exams can be fair, given some students will have missed considerably more face-to-face education than others, depending on where they live and consequently the number of Covid quarantines they have been part of.

10. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

So far only one year group has been sent home, but many of our classes are looking a bit thin on the ground.

11. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

I quite agree it will all be down to luck as to how much face to face teaching some youngsters will get, through no fault of their own. Grossly unfair and no one at the DfE are budging on this yet except to put back exams by a few weeks. They are not addressing the problem for all year groups affected by regular disruption. Not only have some Year groups had zero face to face for 6 months but now they may have on going disruption.

In my view we need to have a radical re-think on priorities and expectations.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Totally agree-according to colleagues/ex-colleagues/ local parents, many students have been off for more of this half-term than they've been in.
    If we moved to online teaching (with key/vulnerable allowed in), or part-time teaching, where they would attend for a day or two per week, meaning they could distance better, then they would probably get much more learning. Parents who need to go out to work would find this much easier; at present keyworkers can find out their child will be off for ten-plus days with no notice!
    Also, some of the parents who are seriously ill after their teenager brought home Covid would say it's worth it to save others suffering the same fate.

13. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

Indeed parents must be having work disrupted by this set up or are grandparents doing it? If they are that might explain why there is now a rise in the 60+ age group. It makes you wonder what we did the whole lockdown in March for as we tried to protect the grand parent generation.