1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCE School supply pool

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ayoung227, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ayoung227

ayoung227 New commenter

Hi all
    I am just going through the motions and form filling to start with the supply pool in either Germany or Cyprus, I will be very interested to hear from anyone who is or has worked for the MOD in such a post.

SUPER.SUPPLY likes this.
  2. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Hello there, how are you doing? I'm in the supply pool for Germany. i have heard nothing as yet. I would like to hear about other experiences too but all seems suspiciously quiet.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

not that i want to burst your bubble, but i have been teaching internationally now for nearly 10 years (4 countries, on 3 continents) and i have never come across, or ever heard of a school ever using these supply agencies. international schools tend to use in house cover, or local supply if it is available. it would be good to hear if i anyone else has.

4. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

SCE is - from what I understand - part of the MOD. It isn't like normal supply agencies. However, as with normal agencies, being on the list doesn't mean you'll be needed.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/service-children-s-education

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

You are not employed by an agency, you are employed by the MOD who will only pay you once they have found an appropriate placement for you. e.g. if you are required to cover long term sickness or maternity, then they issue you with an appropriate contract for one or 2 terms, and you work for them there. In the meantime, you have your normal working way in this country with either your full time job or like me with my agency work here. That is how it has roughly been outlined to me. It would be nice to hear from others who have been interviewed by SERVICE CHILDRENS EDUCATION for the supply or teacher pool too.

Hello Principal Skinner, are you in charge here? its just that my message was posted well before yours and was bumped down. Not that that is a problem.

lescargot likes this.
  6. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Not only am I in charge, but I am watching you through your webcam....

7. SUPER.SUPPLY

hee heee, you will notice how hard I'm working. Suited and booted of course, doing prep for a new class next week. (EVEN THOUGH IM POORLY)

8. ayoung227

ayoung227 New commenter

Hi guys
    here is the update, I received my CRB last Monday and now seriously considering my options as moving to a supply post may be so risky as not only will I loose my regular income but so will my husband if he came with me which he will do. So frustrating just waiting to hear. Super Supply what is happening with you it seems ages since you were excepted. A special wave to you Principal Skinner on your WEB-CAM!

9. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

Do you have a link please for the application process for MOD supply?

I'm starting to seriously reconsider my options now and have started to apply for jobs abroad for next August. After the non-stop slog, constant battles with time and workload and feeling (knowing) that I don't have a life anymore, I need to start living again for my own sanity or I won't be teaching ever again. I am worn out already since qualifying two years ago!!

10. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

There's an SCE school advertising positions in TES at the moment.

11. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Be careful of jumping out of the frying pan and in to the fire.

12. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

I've done searches and looked in all the usual places but can't find a link to SCE jobs. Could you post a link please?

13. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

This is a SCE school:

https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/eyfs-ks1-ks2-class-teacher-brunei-370883/

All vacancies are advertised here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-overseas-school-vacancies/teacher-vacancies

Although it is currently reading as there being no vacancies even though one of their schools is advertising in Tes. That's fairly typical.

ayoung227 likes this.
  14. ayoung227

ayoung227 New commenter

Hi Gregometer & Tony GT
    I applied in June, had my interview in September just received my DBS and they tell me at the SCE supply pool that there are no jobs available at the moment, so as you can see from my post and others it is a long process with no guarantee of work at the end of it, so be prepared for the long game. As I can gather, [and I am open for any other comments on this] once they offer a position it could only be for a couple of months then it is back to the UK to try and find supply back here so by no means is this a steady income, in addition to the job insecurity you will also have the accommodation problem. Although you have accommodation when you are in either Germany or Cyprus once your contract of what could be as little as two months you will be homeless when you return. I don't mean to sound negative but this does take some serious consideration. TonyGT remember that all SCE schools are British schools and the insanity of OFSTED and proving progress is still there.

15. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Little different overseas.

16. SUPER.SUPPLY

You can log on to the civil service jobs website and create alerts with your criteria. They then send you email alerts a couple of days before it appears in the TES. That is what I have noticed. Good luck but as people have said, beware of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Im single and have no ties so i am able to get out and do it and have chosen a life as supply until 'Utopian Primary School' has a vacancy!!!!!

17. mrwindows

mrwindows New commenter

I currently work for SCE so if anyone has any specific questions......

ayoung227 likes this.
  18. ayoung227

ayoung227 New commenter

Hi
    Thanks for your post, where do I start with the questions:
    Do you work as supply pool or perm contract?
    Where are you based?
    If supply pool how long have you been in your current position, did you have to wait long for your first and what was the time laps between assignments?
    Did you have to return to the UK between assignments?
    Did you move with a partner if so how did they find the transition?
    Any regrets?
    Many thanks in anticipation for the long list of answers. Happy New Year!

19. mrwindows

mrwindows New commenter

I was in the supply pool for a while and got three short term posts in Germany before being interview for a permanent post which I am still currently in. I don't think Germany based schools are offering perm jobs anymore as they all close in 2019 but the other schools world wide have no closing date as yet. I am a single chap and have found the experience very interesting though I do think supply posts are unaccompanied.

20. ayoung227

ayoung227 New commenter

Hi again thanks for your prompt reply, can i bug you again please. How long was it before you were offered a position with the supply pool and how long between posts did you have to wait before the next came along, was it worth returning to the UK between times. Thanks again Andrea