1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scariest experience of my life.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3407, Dec 9, 2011.

1. As I type I am awaiting 'The phonecall' about the job interview I had today for a graduate LSA role.

Overall I think the lesson went well. Lovely kids and they had some great ideas, but the interview was bloomin' terrifying!

It was with the assistant head and headteacher and let me tell you the headteacher is one powerful scary lady. When I was answering questions I kept starting with 'obviously'. Now I wasn't aware that I did this, but the headteacher picked me up on it like twice by saying 'obviously?' in an accusatory way. Made me feel about and inch high. I was like 'sorry, that's just something that I do in a scared little squeak.'

Anyway, apart from asking the obvious why do you want to be an LSA if you're qualified to teach, they also asked me about how, if I had a pupil who had a reading age of 6 or 7 would I get them up to a reading age of 11! I was like , ermmmm???? Managed to come up with something, but have to admit I was pretty stumped and the head just kept on pressing and pressing!

I don't think I got it. There was another lady there who, whilst not being a qualified teacher, does have more experience of dealing with SEN and has done things like reading one on one.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see really. Will let you guys all know one way or the other.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would have thought this quite difficult to answer without teacher training and can see you'd not be expecting such a question.
    Fingers crossed [​IMG] unless you feel that Head would be too scary to work for!

4. Also, I've just remember, pretty much the first thing that the headteacher said (apart from hello, nice to meet you) after I had said, 'well from my application you can see I'm a geographer' was 'Pol Pot was a geographer.' I was like who is she talking about?? My reaction was like 'sorry?' so she repeated it and I just kinda of gave a little smile and nod. Still, no idea what she's talking about. I've looked up Pol Pot and he seems to be some Cambodian revolutionary.

(At least I'm assuming she said Pol Pot as I've tried searching for Phil Potts and nothing comes up for that name and geography!)

5. I have had teacher training, but in secondary geography, so my knowledge of literacy strategies and phonics is very limited. I did say something about word games and one to one reading, by it was possibly too late as the head had had to press me a bit before it clicked. I did try to redeem myself at the end by saying something like 'I feel I have a lot of skills which I can bring to the role. I am also willing to undergo any further training necessary to make sure my skills are up to scratch to make sure I get the best out of the students.'

Still waiting for the phone to ring, but have been told I will hear by 3 as that when school finishes on a Friday.

6. Lara mfl 05

Well done Pol Pot was the Vietnamese dictator (now Cambodia) during the American Vietnam war and NOT a nice person, responsible for many massacres.

7. Well didn't get it. They had to ring me up as I was on the flippin' loo didn't they??

The lady said it went to the candidate with more 'reading experience', but I was told that I'd be welcome to apply again as apparently they have roles coming up fairly frequently and that they enjoyed my lesson. I suppose it's all experience really and at least I know what type of thing to look up if I apply for a similar role!

Anyway, I'm off to have my consolatory tuna sandwich and afternoon watching of Neighbours.

8. Is this a piece of general knowledge that like EVERYONE is supposed to know?

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Well - it doesn't sound as if you got good 'vibes' from the place anyway, so I wouldn't feel too down about it. A case of putting this one down to experience and perhaps a lucky escape!
    Enjoy your afternoon [​IMG]

Pol pot indeed - I ask you! [​IMG]

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I suppose it depends on your age really. Not a very topical subject for discussion these days!

11. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Really sorry you didn't get it LTC1409!
    That's really good though, and you can keep an eye out. The Head must have liked you even though she seemed scary!
    Here is a Tuna sandwich for you [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Well, I'm 24, but seriously didn't know who she meant. If she's said someone like Che Guevara or Marx I would have had a slightly better idea! As it was, it just threw me.

Also how do people insert proper smilies and other little icons? All I can do its type :), but this doesn't make a proper smiley icon appear. (I'm using Chrome BTW).

13. Lara mfl 05

Sorry to hear that, though you might have had a lucky escape. Pop along to the
    thread,where a rather unusual'bouquet has been delivered!

14. I have seen and I thankee you. (The flowers look yummy!)

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good came out of that experience (apart from learning about Pol Pot). [​IMG]
    Er . . . reply to this post. Then look about half an inch (or one centimetre if you're very young) above you. See the menu line that begins with B for bold, I for italic, <u>U for underline?</u>
    Just a little bit further on there's the icon to click for a smiley. [​IMG]
    That's TWO things learned today. [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

16. I really do not have a menu line for bold, italic etc. Is it possible this is because I'm using Google Chrome as my browser?

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Could be.
    Try with IE or FF, just as an experiment.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sorry you didn't gat the job, LTC, but she didn't sound a nice person to work for.
    ( Just trying out an emoticon [​IMG] )
    No, won't work on mine, either.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aha! It did work![​IMG]

20. Sorry you didn't get the job... although it sounds like a place you'd want to avoid 'posts come up quite regularly'... wonder why? Could it be the scary HT?
    ...I'm sure you'll get a teaching post somewhere [​IMG]