1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scared stiff and wanting to chicken out!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by therickmachine, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Im moving a new country after working in the UK for 2 years. I agreed to go to a school there
    However, Im going on my own and turning into a bit of a chicken about it.
    Should I tell my school about how worried I am getting? Im having thoughts of going to the country that I know well or staying where I am in the UK.
    Im just so scared and worried Im not going to like it and will just want to go to the country that I ve worked in and know well.

I would never ever do a runner on a school. I would always stick out until the end of summer, Im just wondering if I am feeling this sick with worry should I tell them? My head knows Im resigning but really wants me to stay which is a temptation at the moment. She doesn t want me to resign until the last possible moment.

Has anyone else experienced these moments of blind panic and obsessing over the internet about the country you are moving to?

2. I understand your position but I think it dependsa on where ypou are going andthe school. A bit more info would help us to advise.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Panic is normal.
    You can do this.
    You had good reasons for making this decision in the first place. They still apply. Remember what they were. Write them down and tape them someplace you'll see them frequently.
    Try to pin down any specific concerns that are swirling around in the chaos of panic. Talk to a sympathetic ear about the specific concerns. Get good answers.
    Be careful in how you approach your new employers about your feelings. Share that you're a little apprehensive, and ask for some support in specific areas. Do not insinuate that you might change your mind.
    Be positive.
    The unknown is only the unknown until you get there.
    Thousands of people, perhaps millions, live where you're going. It can be done - they do it every day, and presumably most of them like it, or they'd leave.
    Good luck.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless you've signed up for a school in a really dodgy country (or a really dodgy school), what's the worse that's likely to happen? Not that much.

It's usually better to give something a go than to wonder at the opportunity you might have thrown away.

5. Cannot say much more other than its a country that has experienced some civil unrest recently. The school is meant to be really good. They ve been quite supportive so far. I don t know if its the unrest thats worrying me, the fact Im on my own, the fact I m scared of driving and apparently its essential, or Im worried Im not going to like this new place. Or maybe a mixture of all 4! Thats what made me want to apply to the country I know/stay where I am!

6. I keep a sharp eye on the news and chat to people who are out there. Im just not sure its safe out there!

7. Would the risk of civil unrest and a possible overthrow of the monarchy be a good enough reason not to go out there?

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Mrs M and I worked in El Salvador during the civil war. Our sons were nine and eleven when we drove from Connecticut to San Salvador via Mexico and Guatemala (another civil war). None of us would have missed any of it for all the frijoles in Bogotá (been there too but only, alas, as a visitor). I think I can identify a country with a shaky monarchy. A friend of mine is a HT there. If you PM me in confidence we can see if it's the country you are going to.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo and I arrived in Kenya just after the bomb at the American Embassy and Al Qaeda attacked the American Embassy in Jeddah just after we left.
    I am quite a fan of the Middle East, but I think that I would give Libya, Syria and Yemen a miss at the moment. A friend of mine is a principal at a school in Egypt and he says that things are still pretty hairy there.
    As for Qatar, it's much the same. The traffic is as awful as ever, but the Dutch Masters exhibition at the Islamic Arts Museum was really excellent. The other weekend we went to the amazing private museum of Sheikh Faisal, out on the Dukhan road. One hears rumours that the whole of Doha is going to be turned into a huge construction site for the World Cup, but so far there does not seem to be much evidence of that.

10. ' I would give Libya, Syria and Yemen a miss at the moment....'
    Just what I was going to say. Don't think you'd get a visa at the moment, anyway.

11. tica

tica New commenter

I knew all this information was a bad thing. In the good old days we saw a job we fancied in a country that appealed. We posted off letters of application and waited for weeks for a reply. We took employers at their word when they gave us info at interview as we had no other way of finding out anything and off we went on a great adventure - I wouldn't have missed any of it despite wars, curfews, terrorist attacks etc.
    Why would anyone be afraid of going to a new country alone - the expat scene is a friendly one with lots of people in the same situation. It is far easier to make friends overseas than moving to a new place in the UK in my experience.
    Pull yourself together and enjoy the ride. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

12. Stoppers. Could be Egypt, too!
    MM and PS are having conversations with each other.
    We have a Clovis the 2nd.
    Hoorah!

13. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Well he needs to talk to someone.

14. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Sometimes it's the only intelligent conversation I can have.

15. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

PS begs to differ. He was accusing you of being a citeh supporter in disguise.

16. And that's before you get to what's going on every day in the schools!

17. MM said this, not Vehar. The point being however, that MM said this and the rest of his post with a fair bit of tongue in cheek - although I think I remember MM saying that he would not return to Britain's shores to work again (in schools, not on the beach...).
    My point is what sort of optimistic fool thinks that 'until things simmer down' is an even remote possibility?
    Doom, doom, gloom and more doom....