1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Scared of quitting after accepting new job

Discussion in 'Independent' started by SiriusB, Mar 22, 2020.

  1. SiriusB

    SiriusB New commenter

    Hi all,

    I recently accepted a new job at a well known independent school. The offer came in the form of a signed letter from the HM, attached to an email. I signed and returned the letter but I am scared to officially resign from my current job, because of the whole situation. I have heard of one case where someone was offered a job and was contacted later that day to be told they retract the offer (the day schools' closing was announced).

    I contacted my new school and asked for my contract and they said it would follow but that the email offer was binding. However, the letter said that my offer was subject to references, health checks and DBS checks. I know all of these will be fine, of course, but I worry that the school may use these as a way of getting out of the offer they made me.

    I know I am probably being paranoid :confused: but we are living in paranoid times ... what if schools don't open in September and my new school decides I am an easy way of saving some money?

    What should I do? :(
     
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    This is a normal situation (in the midst of abnormal times).
    You have received and accepted a written offer and so can now resign.
    If you are currently in a state school and have until the end of May, you might choose to leave it a while, but if you need to resign by the end of the Easter break, then go ahead and do so.
    The letter is fine.
     
  3. SiriusB

    SiriusB New commenter

    Thanks for your answer. I am in an independent school so must give notice by end of next week. I am concerned...the offer letter is still subject to all the checks etc. Would it be irrational of me if I contacted them and requested the finalised contract before resigning?
     
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Not irrational, no.
    But they have so very many other things to do right now, that they have probably just ticked off recruitment as done and dusted, no need to think about it for a while.
     
  5. jarndyce

    jarndyce Occasional commenter

    I think it's been pointed out on here before that it's common for there to be a long delay before receiving your final contract - sometimes, you might not even get it until you start!

    The signed letter is binding. Try not to worry about the current crisis.
     
  6. Lubie86

    Lubie86 New commenter

    Hi Sirius,
    This is the same situation that I find myself in. I am making the leap from state to independent and am delaying notice until the situation develops.
    Can I ask: did you ask the new school if there was potential for a recruitment freeze?
     
  7. SiriusB

    SiriusB New commenter

    Hi! I didn’t ask them no but I called them and explained I needed the contract as I was worried due to the situation. They seemed surprised that this would even be an issue but they sent me the contract and I signed it. I feel that if at that point they wanted to pull back they could have done it so the fact that they didn’t reassured me. It’s a large well known school so that also gives me some reassurance that they can weather this storm.
     
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    This is a very good sign.
     

Share This Page