1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scared of failing

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kstring24, Jun 30, 2011.

1. After a long and arduous journey, I've managed to find myself a permanent position for next academic year. I'm about to finish my NQT year, and now my brain has decided to compensate for the fact that I don't have to worry about work for September, because I'm convinced I'm going to fail my NQT year!
    I know it's bloody stupid, and I've been told this, but no one amount of reassurance is stopping me from worrying. I've been with the school covering for the HoD while she's on maternity leave, it's been a wonderful opportunity and I've been regularly told that I'm doing an excellent job. I have a great relationship with my mentor, the staff and kids, and my lesson obs have been bordering on outstanding. In addition, my NQT folder is obsessively neat and just about up to date. Due to how busy this term has been at school, I've not been observed (but I have been observed 5 times over the year). My first for this term is on Wednesday, and I'm worried that I'll get a satisfactory and get told that I've effectively taken a 'step back' and will fail. It's ridiculous, and I hate how I make up these daft scenarios in my head, but it's been bugging me silly.
    Has anyone ever had a really good first couple of terms and messed it up in the 3rd? I just feel like it can still muck up despite overall having a good year.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Do you really want to hear about people who were told they were going to fail on their third term?! NO you don't, you'll just get horror stories and get yourself into a flap. Everything is fine, don't worry, you're going anyway so they'd need a pretty huge reason to fail you if something hasn't flagged before now. x

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You're clearly going to pass.
    Apart from anything else, the beginning of July, with only 3 weeks to go, is far too late for the school to be telling any NQT (for the first time) that they are in danger of failing as there's not enough time left to put in place the required support to help them meet the standards.
    You have nothing to worry about, so relax and enjoy your last few weeks at the school.

4. LOL Don't worry - I have been having the same concerns myself or expecting something to go horribly wrong this half term so that I fail but as someone else has already said, a school cannot suddenely spring on you in the final termk a few weeks from the end of term that you will fail. I have a meeting with my mentor next Friday to complete my final term and end of year paperwork and I think I will relax a whole lot more when it is done :)