1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scared NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by buzzy_bumble_bee, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have just completed a Primary PGCE this year and start my NQT year in September. I am very worried. I am not really sure where to begin with getting ready for September. I got the job in the last week of term and school closed the very next day. I am absolutely petrified about the first day as there are many staff I have not yet met, I haven't met the children and I know I will be teaching a challenging class.

I was wondering whether it was just me that was feeling this way or whether there are other people that are this scared or whether there are some people out there who have some advice to help to remove some of the stresses of starting in September.

Thank you, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi, I am a secondary NQT and feeling stomach-churningly nervous now. I am hoping it is not just me who is absolutely terrified (despite good placement reports and a job at one of my placements). I feel like I have forgotten everything. Will watch with interest.

3. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Hi,
    I'm primary but just did my NQT year last year. This is completely normal!! I actually feel a bit nervous about going back too, LOL!
    You'll both be fine.
    To the OP: noone will expect you to know what you're doing - you are an NQT, you have not met your class or had a chance to get to know school, routine, or things everyone else there will know.
    Oregano, the same applies to you even though you have had a chance to get used to the school through placement. I work at one of my placement schools too (primary).
    Best of luck to you both.
    PS: I always feel worried about going back after half term breaks, but it is always ok, It's natural to be apprehensive and anxious! :)

4. So glad I have seen this. I had fantastic placements last year (secondary) but am not in the slightest bit excited about starting my NQT in 2 weeks time, instead I am starting to have nights full of sleep walking due to the stress!
    Im glad to see I am not the only one who maybe feels a little daunted. I am just trying to use my days now to plan the stuff they have hinted towards so that I can show willing.
    Good luck everybody!

5. I`m due to start my NQT year in 2 weeks & I`m just as nervous as everyone else seems to be! I think the nerves should be seen as a good thing as well though. I agree with others that I feel very unprepared!! I feel like everyone else is busy planning and preparing while I`m just lost in a whirlwind [​IMG]
    Good luck everyone!

6. Pinterest?

7. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I issue this link with a severe health warning, you can (and will) spend lots of time looking at this and pinning millions of ideas and will need 20 classrooms and a £2mil budget to do everything you wish you could, but it really has helped me as I feel like I know what I need to do now, whereas a couple of weeks ago I looked at my classroom and had no idea where to start.
    http://pinterest.com/needsalottowin/
    There are millions of boards, you can get some fantastic ideas, many of which are american but they can be easily adapted for the UK classroom. Please set aside several days to look!

xcharlied123x likes this.
  8. I started teaching in 1993, and I'm now Deputy Head. I get nervous at the end of EVERY holiday, summer being the worst. I don't know if this helps or not, but you're definitely not alone!

9. This is exactly how I feel, everyone else has started and has done loads of planning and I don't know where to start.

10. Hello.
    I finished my NQT just recently..............
    I'm scared and I've been told that I'm a good teacher!
    I'm scared because I don't believe that I am!
    I'm scared that my new resources are rubbish.
    I'm scared because...............................
    I survived because I worked hard and learn't from my many, many mistakes.
    I also remembered, even though I was tired, to thank all the T/A's, teachers, and support staff in the school who helped me out at the end of the day.
    So in short, and reading the posts in this thread, being worried is not purely an NQT 'thing'!
    And remember, having great resources and a wicked lesson plan is great, but if you knacker yourself out doing them and can't deliver the lesson...............
    The Rookie.

11. Glad I'm not the only NQT feeling a bit [​IMG]

I'm feeling very confused about what I need to have done by the start of term and what will need further discussion / explaination once we start school. I'm in Reception, within an EY unit, in a single form entry school. I'm hoping my mentor will help me to make almost a hit list of what needs to be done each week / month / 1/2 term ect. So I can make sure I'm not missing anything.

12. hannamarie

hannamarie New commenter

I'm really nervous too! I got my job late in the summer term so I haven't spent much time in my new school at all. I've been trying to get hold of heads of department regarding my timetable and schemes of work etc but no one is getting back to me :( I don't know what classes I will have or what room I'll be in, what schemes I'll be teaching and what I need to do on the first day with my form!! I really wanted to feel well prepared but I feel like I've been completely left to my own devices :(

13. hannamarie - I know how you feel. All my PGCE friends got their jobs quite early in the summer term and all seem to have lots of information about starting and I haven't really got much. I don't blame the school cos it was just bad timing just means september is going to be a really busy month for me. I'll make sure I keep all my weekends free.

14. Hi all, YEP I'm NQT too and I'm having the whole anxiety dreams thing and wondering what I should have planned by now and making up that everyone else has everything planned and ready to go. The school I am joining is converting to a Primary Academy and I know little of anything they are planning in terms of curriculum outside of maths and English. It feels ridiculous to me that I know so little and have seemingly done so little preparation as yet. I've tried to make contact too and have had a little communication.
    All I can take from everything that I have read is: most teachers are feeling some apprehension so that's normal, if no one is getting back to us either they don't care at all or they trust that it will be ok. I'm choosing the latter! How bad can it be? we have all taught and all have jobs so we must be pretty good because there are plenty without jobs for sure! We will all be fine ultimately and in a few years we will all be able to offer advice to those in search of it.
    I wish all of you/us the very best of luck.
    I also read loads of old posts with suggestions of activities to do and ways forward for the first few days, check them out. They helped to settle my nerves. KM
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/334140.aspx

15. I was an NQT last year and I am SO nervous about having a new class and starting over again = I think I always will be!

Don't worry that no-one is getting back to you - in my (limited) experience the last week of the holidays is when the flurry of activity starts to happen!

16. I'm a secondary NQT feeling rather confused about everything - having got the job in the last week of term, at my old school too. I'm wondering if I've done what I'm meant to before the start of term. I've done some planning and made some resources for KS3 but KS4 and 5 are worrying me mainly because they've already started their courses and my efforts to find out what they've already done have come to nothing so far! I've had a year out as I looked for a job after my PGCE and in the end it all fell into place rather suddenly. I'm in a state of great excitement and nervousness in equal measure. Will I get back into teacher mode quickly? Will I cope with the paperwork? Will I be able to control the classes (have had a few dreams about this one...)? I think this is just normal! We're anxious because we want to do a good job. The best of luck to you all - but try to relax, rest and enjoy the rest of the holiday too!

17. Tink3rb3ll203

Tink3rb3ll203 New commenter

I'm going to be an NQT in Sept too. Secondary science. My job is at my first placement school from my PGCE and I spent the last 3 weeks of summer term there just planning lessons. But I still feel really unprepared! I have no idea what the first week back in the school is going to be like. EG. how will the year 7s find their new classrooms... what do I say in the first lesson? How much time is needed for giving out books and setting ground rules? Yeah I know how to teach... from October onwards.... but never taught in the first month!
    I have nightmares that I oversleep and miss the first day back at school and then no one knows who I am and I don't know where to go. Silly I know, butI'm somewhat nervous as I feel like so much will now be resting on my shoulders! I have 9 classess (spread all over the place) and I just keep thinking about parents evening and report writing and thinking "what if I get it all wrong".
    But part of me is an incy wincy bit excited too! So I try not to give it much thought. Nice to know I'm not the only one though!

18. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Usually the first day of term involves some degree of orientation and, to be fair, they pick it up over time. You just have to be a little tolerant of the fact they may be a bit slow getting to your lesson in the first couple of weeks.

19. I'm a secondary NQT starting in a few weeks and I feel exactly the same!
    I definitely feel like I've forgotten everything so glad it's not just me! I felt just as nervous before placements and found that I settled into the routine quickly, so hopefully this will be the same! I just keep reminding myself that I'm not being observed every lesson now! So that's a nice thought to keep me going! Good luck everyone!

20. I'm so glad it's not just me whose nerves are beginning to get to them! Three weeks ago (when I first started sorting my new classroom out and September was ages away) I was all "It'll be great! I'm so excited and the kids are fab and the parents I've met are lovely!" etc. Now I'm gradually getting more terrified because "OMG IT'S ACTUALLY MY CLASS AND I'M FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM ALL!!!" Two weeks today and I'll probably be feeling like this > [​IMG] because there will only be one full day left before the kids come back to school.
    The sensible, rational part of my brain keeps telling me it'll all be fine, and deep down I know it will be, but that doesn't make it any less scary to the rest of my brain!
    Good luck to you all, WE'RE GONNA BE FINE! [​IMG]
    Kath x