1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scared now!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by wrldtrvlr123, May 8, 2011.

1. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

From my experience in Alex (at an admittedly somewhat dodgy school) and from reports I've heard from other teachers with experience in the Middle East/Egypt, the inverse maturity rule appears to apply. The older they get, the more immature the students seem to become (especially for the boys). So you have 3rd graders who are fairly mature and high schoolers that wrestle in the hallway, give each other wedgies and generally behave like idiots in class.
    That being said, many of them were also very nice, responded to teachers that were able to engage them and seemed to appreciate the extra efforts that some teachers made to promote learning, establish extra-curricular activities etc.
    So, with Year 5's you should stand a fighting chance. If you are able to strike a balance between good humored/caring and clearly establishing how much shite you will accept from them, you will be just fine. Be energetic, creative, engage them with lots of projects and get them on board with you. The teachers I saw that had nightmare times, were also the ones that had students reading aloud from the text book and doing worksheets every day.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Jesus Christ! Now I don't mean to be harsh BUT if the OP is 'scared' about going to a new country to do a job he/she knows how to do, then quite frankly the wrong decision has been made and he/she should never be going abroad. All the information is out there in cyber world, one should know what type of person one is, what situations one is capable of handling and the social structure that you need around you to enjoy your life.

3. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Scared is fine. Perhaps 'nervous' or 'apprehensive' would also apply. I know I get nervous before starting a new job, even if it is in the same country. When it is halfway aorund the world away from just about everything familiar, 'scared' is understandable I would say. As the t-shirts say 'Feel the fear and do it anyway', dude. Good luck with the move.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I was scared before I moved. Not only is the nervousness of starting a new job as mrswallow alluded to, you also have all the other unknown factors as an overlay. You'll be fine and the very best of luck to you for what is sure to be an exciting adventure you will be telling the grandchildren about one day. Have fun!

5. With the greatest respect............bollocks. I don't know about the OP, but I'm pretty sure of myself, but not entirely sure about where I'm venturing to. The cyber world is not the real world and ONE can never know for sure until ONE hits the ground.
    Nerves, apprehehension, even being scared are quite natural and perfectly normal. I would say, not feeling any of those things at all would be unnatural.

6. That is pretty much the conclusion I came to. Consistency, consequences, humour, project work, computers and hand on stuff. Fingers crossed. I only have 17 in the class, how bad can it be (famous last words).

7. happygreenfrog

Hmmm, so you don't agree with my opinion but choose to insult my user name. That's big of you on an internet forum. Anyhow, I stand by what I wrote. Apprehensive and nervous are indeed fine, but mummy has long gone and, in my opinion, being 'scared' should not really be one of your emotions as a mature experienced adult going overseas to teach. Exactly what is there to be scared about? . . . using a different type of toilet, not being able to converse with the local shop keeper, having a slower speed of internet . . . it's hardly Helmand province is it!

8. Delightful handfuls would be the best way to put it. Although that does remind me of an old college flame...
    Holmes you will be fine where you are going.
    I thought HappyGreenFrog was a bit rough on the OP too. A 'bit rough' reminds of college days, too....

9. Still a bit apprehensive... ha ha ... Yes it's HK and it's a Vastly Enourmous Organisation with royal links... [​IMG]

10. Happygreenfrog: I am scared of the unknown, as they say [​IMG]

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Happygreenfrog
    One question, do you have a family by any chance? I was scared (not apprehensive or nervous) about uprooting my child, putting her in danger and not having the sort of infrastructure and services I am used to be able to access for my child. As it turns out, I am one of the minority whose fears were justified. You may not have been scared, good for you, I am very happy for you but don't put other peoples' emotions down.

12. happygreenfrog

Yes, my daughter is doing fine, thanks for asking. I am very sorry about your own experiences and i wish your child well. The OP came on an internet forum to share their views and expressed mine which differed from the other posters. It is a dull world if we all agree and I stand by what I wrote and believe the OP is probably unsuited to this post if it has made him/her this fearsome.

13. I bet if it was, even your gruns would get a splodge of marmite..

14. I've also recently accepted my first overseas post and yes, I'm scared.It's a new job in a school I haven't visited, working with people I haven't met, and I don't know where I'm going to be living yet. All those things are scary in my opinion, but there is also the excitement of a new challenge and a new start, doing a job I know I'll be good at, and sometimes it's good to do things that scare us.

15. happygreenfrog

Marmite, Fp? Yuk, cannot stand the stuff. I did my four year stint in the Middle East and came through with my head intact, and no scarey moments that I can recall . . . only a lonely and somewhat unique incident at a nation thumping event when 5000 were on their knees in prayer and rose as one and looked my way, with mixed emotions i'm sure.

16. [​IMG]Well, can inform you that the tummy ache has gone! Red alert down to amber perhaps... ha ha... so... apprehensive yet excited!
    Anyone else going to HK in July/Aug by the way? PM me is you are... always good to make some contacts beforehand

17. Happygreenfrog, on occasion new posters come to this forum with genuine concerns and are slapped down by other posters. Apologies if that wasn`t your intention, but it sure sounded like it for a minute there.

18. Hi Woolly,

I am heading to HK this summer, I have messaged you :)

19. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I was scared tonight when Chelsea scored their goal to make it 2-1. Thankfully there was nothing to be scared about after all.
    In support of the cheery reptile, just as posters are allowed to express their views, so others are allowed to express theirs in response. I presumed the OP was grossly exaggerating and was more nervous than scared, but if this wasn't the case I have to agree with the reptile that the turmoil of a life overseas may not be suitable for such a softie.

20. Ha ha... I recently called myself a 'hard cookie' during an interview... anyways, it's all relative, non?