1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

scared myself silly!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Dec 23, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

On my way to pick up MrG from work I have to drive around a very large roundabout with several traffic light points. I usually tackle it safely and with my wits about me, picking the right lane etc etc.
    When Mr G does it, he sometimes pulls out into smaller gaps than I would choose, because he can get up speed from a standing start that I wouldn't dare do yet. I am not old-lady slow, but I am still improving my driving and gaining experience.
    Yesterday it was really busy and had a number of fairly careless drivers, taking risks and speeding/revving.
    While I was waiting to go onto the roundabout the traffic from the right (from two different sets of traffic lights) was fast and heavy. As the lights changed, cars came really quickly and I waited for a decent space. There wasn't a space, and soon the lights had changed to let the other lane go - all were very fast and some had obviously gone on amber because they were on us almost instantly. A car behind me sounded its horn, despite the fact that there was steady oncoming traffic going right across my lane. I stayed put until it was safe to pull out.
    Then, when I saw the lights change again, I pulled out, despite noticing a dark car absolutely belting towards me, must have done really fast start from standing at the lights.
    Instead of putting the accelerator to the floor and zooming out, I felt panicky and slowed somewhat to a steady speed, relying on the other car to slow and let me into the right lane. I know it wasn't good manners, but once committed I had to keep going. Thought if I was slowish, then it might be inconvenient, but not too dangerous. I'm always having to give way to other cars in similar situation and it's part of manouevring on a roundabout like this, I reckon.Bearing in mind too, that this car had only travelled a few yards from a standstill at the lights.
    He must have decided to teach me a lesson or something, because he continued really, really fast and despite my signalling right, he somehow squeezed past me on the inside of the roundabout as I went round. Cut me up drastically. I don't know how it didn't hit me. If I had speeded up even slightly, it would have clipped my front right and it would have been a bad smash considering the speed it was going at.
    He wasn't even in the right lane, since he cut across me to leave at the next exit.
    Another car, travelling equally speedily, came round on my left and sounded a long horn as he swerved round on the other side of me. I could have been sandwiched between the two of them.
    It was only a few yards anyway to another set of traffic lights and I was composed enough to be in the right lane and take the next exit as normal.
    I arrived at husband's workplace with horrible thoughts of what might have happened. I told him what had happened (mistake) and he offered to drive home. I said I would prefer to drive so that I didn't make a big thing of it and could overcome it straight away.
    I drove home smoothly and safely as usual, but with a lecture all the way home from the passenger seat.
    Kept having flashbacks last night and first thing this morning.
    Resolved to learn from the experience, rather than let it upset me, but still keep thinking I could have been smashed to oblivion!

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

On my way to pick up MrG from work I have to drive around a very large roundabout with several traffic light points. I usually tackle it safely and with my wits about me, picking the right lane etc etc.
    When Mr G does it, he sometimes pulls out into smaller gaps than I would choose, because he can get up speed from a standing start that I wouldn't dare do yet. I am not old-lady slow, but I am still improving my driving and gaining experience.
    Yesterday it was really busy and had a number of fairly careless drivers, taking risks and speeding/revving.
    While I was waiting to go onto the roundabout the traffic from the right (from two different sets of traffic lights) was fast and heavy. As the lights changed, cars came really quickly and I waited for a decent space. There wasn't a space, and soon the lights had changed to let the other lane go - all were very fast and some had obviously gone on amber because they were on us almost instantly. A car behind me sounded its horn, despite the fact that there was steady oncoming traffic going right across my lane. I stayed put until it was safe to pull out.
    Then, when I saw the lights change again, I pulled out, despite noticing a dark car absolutely belting towards me, must have done really fast start from standing at the lights.
    Instead of putting the accelerator to the floor and zooming out, I felt panicky and slowed somewhat to a steady speed, relying on the other car to slow and let me into the right lane. I know it wasn't good manners, but once committed I had to keep going. Thought if I was slowish, then it might be inconvenient, but not too dangerous. I'm always having to give way to other cars in similar situation and it's part of manouevring on a roundabout like this, I reckon.Bearing in mind too, that this car had only travelled a few yards from a standstill at the lights.
    He must have decided to teach me a lesson or something, because he continued really, really fast and despite my signalling right, he somehow squeezed past me on the inside of the roundabout as I went round. Cut me up drastically. I don't know how it didn't hit me. If I had speeded up even slightly, it would have clipped my front right and it would have been a bad smash considering the speed it was going at.
    He wasn't even in the right lane, since he cut across me to leave at the next exit.
    Another car, travelling equally speedily, came round on my left and sounded a long horn as he swerved round on the other side of me. I could have been sandwiched between the two of them.
    It was only a few yards anyway to another set of traffic lights and I was composed enough to be in the right lane and take the next exit as normal.
    I arrived at husband's workplace with horrible thoughts of what might have happened. I told him what had happened (mistake) and he offered to drive home. I said I would prefer to drive so that I didn't make a big thing of it and could overcome it straight away.
    I drove home smoothly and safely as usual, but with a lecture all the way home from the passenger seat.
    Kept having flashbacks last night and first thing this morning.
    Resolved to learn from the experience, rather than let it upset me, but still keep thinking I could have been smashed to oblivion!

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Put it down to experience and treat them as ars eholes.there are many of them outhtere and they seem to think its macho to do such things.I often get horned..........but in the end i just ignore and go on my way lol
    The lesson learnt in future is to slow down if someone is forcing you over, and if need be stop.Youmight get a horn or two but at least you are safe.
    As driver i have several things that iritate.....one being folks so much on their mobile phone they never se lights change till they ar virtually on red,or cars which swerve in and out of traffic...causing acidents but never being in one.often with a mobile phoone clamped tot their ear! or watching white van men or lorries sandwich a car so they cant escape.In that case i just would say pull over to the escape lane and let them go........or put your brakes on..usally slows the one in rear down..then get out the way realising your car can usally out accelerate a van or lorry..unless its a merc sprinter!

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, thanks.
    It's just horrible to think that disaster and death are such easy possibilities when driving.
    I should have waited for a bigger gap I suppose.
    It could have been the end of me and those around. It happens [​IMG]

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

People don't often die on roundabouts. They do lose thousands in minor accidents though. It sounds to me like you dealt with the manoeuvre perfectly well, other drivers are often inconsiderate, your steady as she goes method is your choice, don't be intimidated. I could have been the **** that whistled across in front of you, I sometimes forget that many drivers are inexperienced. Thanks for the reminder. I do try to moderate my nippiness on roundabouts but I am always tempted by gaps.
    Sorry.

PS one foe masha, how come manoeuvre is so hard to spell ? It always looks wrong.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh! Not only do I not do motorways but massive roundabouts like that put the fear of God up me, as well. I just don't do them.
    Have been driving for 30 years, with no incidents; probably 'cos I just trundle around town.
    There, I've gone and said it. Hope I haven't tempted fate and prang the car now![​IMG]

7. Big roundabout are definitely scary places. Driving is no pleasure these days. The next comment is not aimed at the first poster, it sounds like you were in difficult circumstances and used caution. The biggest menace on the roads at the moment are dithering drivers, or those who drive ridiculously slowly. Don't get me wrong, speeding is wrong and should always be punished, but more minor accidents are caused by ditherers or people driving at an erratic speed - sometimes slow, then they speed up to the speed limit, then they suddenly slow down again - nothing worse.

8. Driving these days is no fun and I sympathise with the original poster of this thread.

There are three types of menace on the roads these days:
    significant speeders - those that drive way too fast for the conditions or the speed limit
    elderly people - clearly scared, hesitant, nervous, short sighted, partially deaf = a danger to themselves and other road users
    erratic drivers - those that drive way too slow and dither, causing drivers behind them to become frustrated and take risks.
    There really is nothing worse than getting caught behind a dithering driver!

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I hold my hand up to that one; I really was dithering on that occasion. Sort of panic took over and I slowed up.
    That's why it bothered me so much - if I'd just been cut up, I'd have had a swear to myself and got over it. It was the fact that I'd done something silly that made it stick with me. Resolve not to get into that situation again.
    As I get more experienced, I will be able to pick the moment to zoom into a tighter gap, but won't be doing it again for the foreseeable future if I can help it!

10. And until then don't give it a second thought!
    I passed when I was about 28 and spent a while being a bit of a ditherer. It passes and as long as you don't assume all the blame you will get more confident.
    If it makes you feel better Richard Hammond made a big error on a horrid roundabout near me, about 3 years ago. The hours it took to clear the roundabout received very little news coverage but a friend who was behind him said it looked like he had scooted out and misjudged the length of his car!!!!!
    So just smile, chalk it up to experience and have a good Christmas!

11. Don't worry about it. It's Christmas driver time at the moment where there are plenty of "donkey-gaps" on the road. He should have slowed down, it's not your fault. I know how things like this can play on your mind though-I do the same!

Christmas time unfortunately brings out the worst drivers. Speeding, undertaking, cutting up just to get to the shopping centre 5 seconds earlier than they would have if they hadn't of driven like a penis. Yesterday as I was giving someone a lift a lovely silver BMW was right up my backside when I was doing the 30mph speed limit. The road starts in two lanes, goes down to one then back to two. She decided to undertake and really cut me up to the point where I had to brake sharply. She then speeded along and just as the lights turned red (and I don't know how she did it without causing a serious accident) she then cut two other cars up in the smallest gap ever, almost knocking over a pedestrian in the process. Absolutely ridiculous, but just remember, Christmas driver, smile, deep breath and carry on.

At this time of year it's the only thing you can do!

12. [​IMG]

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I fear this does not mean with kindness and a light touch.

14. It wasn't me.....

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Perhaps it means in and out of the garage? In and out and......?

16. I was on a fairly small roundabout last week in the left hand lane going straight on. A car whizzed up beside me at I don't know what speed in the right hand lane and turned LEFT! He took me with him on a road I didn't want to be. He then had the cheek to say I was in the wrong lane! The damage to my car was quite nasty but to his was dreadful. All along the side of his car was completely wrecked.
    Luckily once my insurance claim was in he admitted liability so it will all be paid through his insurance. My suspension and tracking are apparently damaged as well as tthe front wing and wheel.

17. bed

bed New commenter

As many have said, don't dwell on it, you're fine and nothing actually happened.
    It sounds like you do need more confidence in your own skill and in the car's nippiness.
    How about taking the opportunity this holiday to practice nipping?
    You could choose a quiet route round a quiet neighbourhood near you and practice clutch/accelerator control and quick gear changes on some junctions. (Not with traffic of course but when there's nothing coming!)
    I've been driving for a hundred years and get jittery on certain local roundabouts which are notorious for crappy driving; no signals, lane swapping and generally crappy driving.
    Give yourself a break - steady and constant is a safe way to drive - and with more experience you'll get better at accelerating out of danger - which is a skill I wasn't taught until I passed my test and Dad took me out onto the motorway for precisely that reason.
    Have a lovely day tomorrow and be pleased with the fact that you know you didn't cause a crash - and that your driving may well have slowed down a nutter just enough to prevent one.
    bed x

18. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

:)
    That'll be because it comes from french and everyone knows how daft french spelling rules are.

19. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I followed 2 police cars round a local roundabout. Both took the same exit, except one was signalling right, and one left just before and as they turned. If the police don't know correct roundabout signalling I don't know what hope there is for anyone else.

20. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I find more problems when they change the road markings at a roundabout. They did that near me so that there was a turn left lane and then the right one was for straight on or turning right whereas before you could go in either lane to go straight on. I was in the right lane going straight on and was cut up by an old bloke who was in the left lane but went straight on - HE shook his fist at ME. Evidently he had always used that lane and didn't see why he should change - grr!