1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scared I'm about to be ill again

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tiredagain, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I need to be a little careful what I write here as it's a bit of a sensitive issue. I had a baby last year and put in a flexible working request which was declined, as was my appeal (I've had union support throughout the process). Due to various delays this was only resolved 2 weeks before my return to work date which is now here. I asked for a reduction in hours both because of my parental responsibilities and my disability (which can be made worse by stress and needs rest and pacing). School acknowledges my disability as I have reasonable adjustments but decided not to include it in their decision making process even though my GP strongly recommends I now work part-time. I have requested to see occ health but this will now not be until after I return. To make things worse it appears that some of my adjustments will not longer be in place.
    I want to try and make a go of it with work but know it's just a matter of time before my health falls apart (it's already on the slide due to the stress of this situation) and just don't really know what to do.
    I realise this may seem a little rambling, but needed to share.

2. I need to be a little careful what I write here as it's a bit of a sensitive issue. I had a baby last year and put in a flexible working request which was declined, as was my appeal (I've had union support throughout the process). Due to various delays this was only resolved 2 weeks before my return to work date which is now here. I asked for a reduction in hours both because of my parental responsibilities and my disability (which can be made worse by stress and needs rest and pacing). School acknowledges my disability as I have reasonable adjustments but decided not to include it in their decision making process even though my GP strongly recommends I now work part-time. I have requested to see occ health but this will now not be until after I return. To make things worse it appears that some of my adjustments will not longer be in place.
    I want to try and make a go of it with work but know it's just a matter of time before my health falls apart (it's already on the slide due to the stress of this situation) and just don't really know what to do.
    I realise this may seem a little rambling, but needed to share.

3. Obviouwsly seek union advice.
    Can you speak with your head openly and ask why this is the case?
    I would also suggest:
    • If you speak with organisation that deals with DDA in the UK, they will be able to forward a quesitonairre that you can then request your employer completes based on your exisiting disability.
    • The enployer is legally obligated to complete within a time frame.
    • This then moves your disability back up the agenda.
    • It may also make your employer realise that though s/he is provoking your downfall as you could effectively clain constructive dismissal if this change in arrnagments that they previously acknowledged as necessary are now overlooked...
    If not the path you wish to tread - deifnitely do call the DDA people...