1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCAMS FACING PRIVATE TUTORS

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by pangar, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I've just started doing this. Because I have yet to cobble together a website, blitz the area with business cards or practice my email sales patter, I have not had many bites to date. It is not that which worries me though. No, what I am concerned about are some of the charlatans and chancers seeking my bank details and spewing every line of bilge imaginable. Is this simply a professional hazard for those in this line of work?

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think you may have been unlucky. I haven't had anything like that at all ever. Where are they finding your contact details?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why would they get your bank details? Cash works for me[​IMG]

4. I've registered with a website. I've had a few legitimate contacts and two bookings since it was activated late last week, which is better than the supply agencies. What has been happening is that I am getting emails asking me to teach a child for a short period, for which their parents will pay in advance. They then ask me for my address and bank details to make the necessary payment.
    I foolishly walked off from a supermarket a while back without my Visa card. I imagine that it has been sold on to crooks overseas. Then again, it might have something to do with the relentless hacking which I endured a while back, by persons unknown but for reasons that are pretty hackneyed. I wonder after those experiences whether to follow that lead and go into a nice line in blackmailing those in this line of work.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why don't you just ask for a pre visit? Then ask for cash or a cheque.

6. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

Which website is this? I use first tutors and uk tutors and you don't have to share bank details with the clients. Once you have accepted a student, you make your own arrangements for payment (cash or cheque ideally!).

7. It's the clients (aka the crooks) making that request.

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Perhaps you should use a 'pre-paid credit card' The 'customer' can only pay money into it.

Virgin Money will provide such a card for you

9. Cash or cheque only. If they can't muster this, stay well clear.

10. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is some sort of scam. I remember logging on to a tuition agency site and they were warning against the above.

11. On second thoughts, I think that there is a far simpler explanation for the emails which I received requesting my bank details. One of the 'clients' called themselves prenom and another called themselves by a name which means 'presumptuous' in Spanish. If my suspicions are well founded then this is a case yet again of old whine being poured from new bottles.

12. I have had many of these emails, they normally come through notorious tutoring websites. But I don't think this has anything to do with you losing your card in a supermarket. It is just one of the many scams out there. Just ignore the emails and report them to the webmaster.

13. I suspect the scam emails you mention (is it emails?) are part of a very wide scam that's been doing the rounds for some time. I got an alert from one of the websites I've joined. There are several variations, usualy telling you they want 3 months tuition for a very able pupil who learns quickly (or even two siblings) and they ask for silly amounts of tuition per day. Add the email address to your scamlist and block them. Ignore any that get through. Don't be spooked. The delete button is your friend:)
    Genuine pre-payers don't need you bank details. They pay by cheque or cash. I've set up an online payment system through a third party. They're all geared up to spot the fraudsters and I can draw out the fees before they build up too much. Best of luck.