1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foxtail3, Oct 16, 2018.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Just a heads up to say there’s a current scam purporting to be from TV licensing, to which I have succumbed. Should know better.

2. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sorry to read this. Can you give more details of the scam? Refund? Problem with Direct Debit?

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

TV licensing sent a text to say I hadn’t paid the licence fee and would be fined. Nothing wrong with account, so have cancelled debit card. I’ll check with the bank tomorrow and wait for a new card.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

My fear is more and more scams are done to insider jobs.

When I took out an internet package with Virgin Media, the very next day someone was calling with an Indian accent offering me a new and better deal....and worryingly they knew everything about my very recently signed deal.

I was also a little in doubt but when they got onto asking me for my password and DOB I told them to send the offer to my email (which they knew) and I'd let them know.

Running the number led to me seeing many Virgin Media customers complaining about this to VM, who just advise us to be careful and not give personal information on the phone. As someone wrote on their forums ' we did not, you must have!!'.

No answer to the post.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Whenever I get a suspect email I click to see the full email address. So, rather than TV LIcencing blah blah blah it will show 'sxmfkfisodobop@khktodobom.com' or some other highly unlikey email address.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not a scam, but related. One of my residents has been struggling lately with depression and confusion, which in combination, has conspired to his letting things slip. His sister asked if I could help him find out whether his council tax payments are up to date and to help him set up a direct debit, so he doesn't have to worry about the bailiffs turning up out of the blue. I told her to send him down with his bank details and council tax bill.

OK, so he comes down with them and I ring up the council. I explain who I am and why I'm calling on his behalf. I ask if they want to speak with him to get confirmation he is happy for me to make the necessary arrangements.

So they ask him a few questions to confirm his identity and address, but he can't remember the postcode. I tell him it's on the council tax bill, but he can't read it without his glasses, so I say it out loud to him. The council assistant tells him he will need to end the call because he's being prompted, which GDPR doesn't allow.

He passed the phone back to me, saying there's a problem. The assistant explained why he is having to terminate the call, but said if I called back, I'd get a different assistant who would enable me to set the thing up, provided he wasn't being prompted.

So I typed everything they'd need to know in a large font that he could read without his glasses and called them back, whereupon we got it sorted, because he wasn't being prompted.

As if life isn't confusing enough already for the people in the age group most likely to become victims of scammers...

TCSC47 and kibosh like this.
  8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Anyone had bother with Amazon Prime? My friend has an account and her card was used to subscribe to Amazon Prime (£79.?? ) She reported this via RESOLVER and got a reply using an email that did not belong to her and an attitude that someone she knew must have known and used her card. I checked and found the email was simply re-directing mail from another source. I proved this by sending an email to it which re-directed to her. I tried to access the account and Amazon kindly informed me no such account exists. I decided to investigate Amazon security by creating an account using the false email, then use my debit card to buy something. Amazon allowed this despite the fact that I have my own Amazon account and have not given permission for my card to be used on any other account. Amazon will shortly be getting a claim via the small claims court and woe betide them if they decide to ignore it. This scam could be being done on an industrial scale and cost them millions if the courts decide their security procedures are inadequate.

9. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

This is what I do with the ones pretending to be PayPal (didn't even have/use PayPal) and HM Customs and Revenues. I block them as spam

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

About 10 years ago, the FE college, I was working at, published all the staff college e-mails so that the students could contact us. No sooner had this been done than we all started receiving spam e-mails for ******, penis extension techniques etc. etc. I presume it was an easy matter for a student to sell on the address list.

I wonder if it would now be illegal for our work e-mails to be published like this or is it allowed because they are the property of the college? No idea, myself.

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lol! The word above that was bleeped out was V - iagra. I didn't expect that. Have I spelt penis wrong or something?

Edit -- just thought, it could be TES stopping the very spam that I am complaining about. Maybe I owe a "Well done " to TES.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's another nasty one that claims you are being investigated by HMRC and then gives you a fake number.

I had to contact HMRC about something anyway and I asked the guy on the phone about this - he said they were trying to get them stopped.

13. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I regularly get recorded messages telling me that BT is about to terminate my internet access unless I press some number or other.

catmother likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've had something pop up on my computer screen saying all my files will be deleted in 200 seconds unless I click on something or other. There's a count down, and a big warning saying " do not leave this page" but I ignored it and left and all my files are still there

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Why are you publishing my business e-mail address?
    Incidentally, several of you are in arrears on your internet and need to send me £142.34 in coins straight away.

16. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If I gave you it all in pennies it would not be legal tender !!

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/1...=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Weekly_Scoop_131018

They'll never succeed in stopping them. HMRC do at least put considerable effort into taking down fake websites and scam emailers - over 20,000 fake websites last year according to this

I'm not convinced commercial banks put anything like that amount of effort (and resources) into doing anything with phishing reports their customers send them.

But it's like Whack-a-Mole, the scammers just pop up somewhere else.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Non-computer scam related. I have received a number of phone calls recently (PPI and car crash compensation type).

The call always comes from a recognised source (e.g. Manchester, London etc), the speaker always rushes through the initial intro as follows " Hello, is this Mr Stopwatch? This is Ricky from Accrued profit incorporated (said very quickly), how are you today?'

I always ask them to repeat the name of the company and what the business of the company is. I then ask them where they are calling from. Ricky - "I'm calling from Manchester" Me - "That's funny.the call says it is from London" ...... long pause........ Ricky disconnects.

When I answer these calls, there is always a 2 to 3 second silence until the speaker, speaks.

Question - is it possible that these people are calling from elsewhere with the call redirected through a different number?

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes. Or the number they spoof the number - what shows on your phone as the number of the caller they've simply faked.. Apparently it's easy for phone scammers to do this (I wouldn't have a clue how to do it).

20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes, they are calling from abroad. If you google that number, it's probably almost unique to you. It's not a registered UK number.