1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scale point for retired supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by newrad, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I retired after doing 30+ years as a teacher (PT eventually). I have been doing some supply work recently and am being paid at relatively low point on the basic scale.
    Is this correct, or should I be at the top of the basic scale?

2. I agree on this one, to the point that I think something about this should be written into the contract, as it was where I taught in Canada.
    It was written into our collective agreement that retired teachers could not return for supply for at least six months after retirement, and that if/when they did apply to return for supply, they could be called in for work ONLY if the school could prove that there were no other supply teachers available.
    This clause worked very well to ensure that in most cases, supply work went to non-retired teachers. There were exceptions, of course, esp in remote and rural areas where younger teachers were thin on the ground.
    In general, this arrangement worked very well. Most retired teachers felt that they had had their turn at a teaching career and that once you leave, you should stay out and give someone else a chance. Fair's fair.
    And of course, for every day a retired teacher worked in supply, their pension was, appropriately, withheld---I suppose that at least is the same here?

3. I doubt very much that their pensions are deducted. Dare I say it, this is one group of supply teachers that I do believe should be paid at point 1 of the scale.

4. Earnings limits are set by SPPA.
    I do think supply teachers should proceed with degree of tact, certainly in the current climate. The most awful example of crassness I ever came across was a supply teacher who had a house in Spain and actually went round the staffroom advertising it at special holiday rates to colleagues. I thought that was a bit much!
    If it's any consolation, I suspect a lot of retired supply staff will simply stop working after the summer. I look to be taking a 48% cut!

5. How rude you are stupidmove!!!!!
    Regardless of your entitlement to voice your opinion I find this comment offensive.
    If you're one of the young teachers unable to find a job I suggest you adapt your style to that of a professional - you may have more success in securing a post that way.

6. Yes, it almost makes one think again about that ballot paper .....
    * ducks *

7. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I don't believe you can make sweeping statements about retired teachers stealing work from others. Not all of them have worked for 30-odd years. Some entered teaching later and have not built up much pension, others took lump sums and payments in the past after having had babies, which you used to be able to do apparently, in times when maternity benefits were not so generous as today. I know a lady who was bullied into retirement against her will aged 57 by a very unpleasant head teacher. She wanted to work till 60.
    I have also met retired teachers who use supply to fund their frequent cruises and others who have retired on full pension, only to return 2 weeks later to cover a long term sickness absence in the school they retired from. This does suck. In England, retirees can earn up to half their former salary on supply, thereafter they have to choose - supply wages or pension. Don't think such an arrangement applies in Scotland.

8. There are places (geogrgaphically) where it is difficult to get supply teachers. Sometimes retired teachers can be the only option.
    Some supply teachers are incredible. They improvise on the day plan and leave notes on what has been done and notes on the high (and low) points of the day. They are an asset, good experiences all round.
    There is also the difference of teachers turning up to teach for a day where they have been left plans compared to those who arrive to find no hellp. Supply teachers can arrive cold to a class with very little planning that is helpful to someone who is not familiar with the usual routines.They can also arrive to find a very detailed plan for the day.
    There are also supply teachers who will not teach writing (primary) as they will not mark it.
    There are also supply teachers who leave within 15 minutes of the bell and do minimal marking.
    Where I work we have had examples of all of the above. We tend to rebook those who behave professionally - luckily they are in the majority.
    However, we must make sure that legislation protects children and colleagues from those less diligent teachers on the supply list.

9. Should have taken my own advice from another thread !!! Sorry.