1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Say somethintg now I'm thinking of leaving you

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Curae, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I am feeling a bit down ... too many books to mark...too many tests ...too many learning walks and far far too much BS.

So as the lyrics go "say something TESSERS coz I'm thinking of leaving YOU". ..aka TEACHING. :(

stonerose and Orchid2457 like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think you'll find that a fair few of us have already left formal teaching for various reasons, so I say welcome to our world. :)

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

And if we haven’t already it’s a tempting idea...

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Been there, done it, like you, too much red tape. not enough back up.
    Did the supply route for many moons.
    Currently walking dogs.
    I say sit, they sit
    I say wait, they wait.
    I say come here, they come here.
    10 miles pluss a day walking,[not with same dogs], cor I'm fit.

It is peaceful, I listen to the birds singing, the wind blows in my hair [well what is left of it].
    The Sun shines down, and nobody looking over my shoulder, just to pick fault at any small error.

I might go back, [my terms only]..............................................so looks like I might not go back.

Whatever you decide to do, stay, or go for a little wander, I wish you all the best.

5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I feel the same Curae, it's relentless. I'd just like one week where I can go home on time fot the weekend and have nothing to do!

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

By all means leave teaching but I'll be disappointed if you don't keep posting on here. Keep us up to date with your plans, jobs you go for and so on. We're an impartial lot except when we're biased so we'll give you an honest opinion on your next career move. We here to encourage and support you and we're very nosey - we are your family even though you don't know us so enough of this talk of leaving us. You just carry on posting and keep us in the loop.

pepper5, stonerose, hfromh and 7 others like this.
  7. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Hey, Curae, you’re the person who beams lots of positivity and encouragement to the rest of us!

So sorry to hear the job is getting to you. Relax for the weekend, it’s more important that the students have a refreshed teacher with them on Monday morning. I bet you’re really doing a great job. Next week will still pass if you don’t mark the books or tests. Let the BS wash over you and avoid being around the perpetrators.

Look after yourself. And yes, of course, you’re allowed to join the ranks of the escapees.

Sanz1981, pepper5, stonerose and 6 others like this.
  8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I am so in sympathy with all you say. I just keep my head down and do my allocated hours in school.
    I ALWAYS get hold of the diary to look to see what ***** is happening in the next week.
    Prep the books for the -2 @2 +2 pupils who will be fished out for the learning walk/moderation/drop in.
    Use the highlighters as the doctrine. Half the time, they won't be looking at the content, they just want to see the highlighters. Throw in some random marking comments.

Really, really, work out how much you earn. Right down to the penny. I know that it costs me £12.60 per week in petrol to get to work. I know that I walk away with £200 per week. ( I am very part time, but I just won't leave, because I know it upsets them.) If I ever find a job that pays better, I will be off.

pepper5, hfromh, pleasemiss__ and 5 others like this.
  9. Curae

Curae Star commenter

((((()))))
    Saying we are family means alot to me. I will never leave TES ...I refer rto leaving teaching. When I do it will have to be carefully planned as I have quite a lot of financial commitments.

10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

It is such a sorry state of affairs in education at the moment. It really does feel like will the last one left please turn off the lights.

11. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Good survival tips. Thank you .

lardylegs, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  12. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

I’ve been thinking a lot about what to do after maternity. Maybe a ppa teacher or perhaps a Sen primary school. I’m really not sure but I don’t want to be a mainstream class teacher anymore. I’m like a mop and soak up stress and atmosphere. I love teaching but I’ve come to the end I’ve just turned 36. I thought I’d be a teacher for many more years and retire as one.

It is one of the toughest terms. Maybe you might feel better after the Xmas break?

Have you been thinking of alternatives?xx

pepper5 and lardylegs like this.
  13. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I really like this because it tells me that one is allowed to return and I know there is more to life. I suppose I've allowed myself this weekend to feel a bit down an's I am telling myself that that's okay because we are all human Obviously I will be supporting all TESSERS because I NEED YOU.

14. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I am thinking of going part time simply for my sanity abd to then return FT.
    I know returning esp after maternity has
    its own challenges and also wish you luck. Enjoy your children they grow up too fast.
    (((()))))
    For you
    Curae xx

pepper5, d_fahey and agathamorse like this.
  15. Curae

Curae Star commenter

((((())))):):)
    Curae xx

d_fahey, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This is the second hug you've given me. the last was at 1.23am! I won't speculate as to the reason why so have one back.
    (((((((((())))))))))

Curae, agathamorse and d_fahey like this.
  17. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Re the Great Escape aka leaving teaching, always try to put into the formula FUN. Fun is a word teachers have a problem with because their mindset of what you do to make money doesn't involve any fun, just commitment and hard work.

The way I see it, have a fun escape route doing what you know you will love and working on that for the rest of your life, yep well into retirement :) and have a money to make ends meet route :oops:which you do whilst you pursue the ultimate fun escape route. In fact attempting to put the fun escape route in place, i.e. planning the steps, developing the skills etc, whilst teaching may make the teaching i.e. making money route more bearable.

As once as you allow fun into your life, everything is possible. The problem with teaching is teachers have very little time for fun and the things we love to do. I have always loved the idea of making your hobby your career. What a project!

It really helps you answer the question, why the hell am I doing this?

18. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I was marking

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That just about says it all. When you're still marking at gone 1 in the morning then it's time to give teaching the heave-ho. There are more important things in life like sleeping!

20. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

Find a good school is what I would say, and when I say good I don't mean Ofsted 'good'.

I am lucky enough to have and still love it! Don't have too much of the silly red tape to contend with.

The challenge is finding one!

pepper5, agathamorse and Orchid2457 like this.