1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saw a parent on a night out

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LisaLove82, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I saw the father of one of my pupils on town last night and was chatting to him briefly. However, was slightly drunk at the time and he offered to buy me and my friend a drink, to which we accepted. I am extremely worried now that I should not have done this. Is this inappropriate?

2. I saw the father of one of my pupils on town last night and was chatting to him briefly. However, was slightly drunk at the time and he offered to buy me and my friend a drink, to which we accepted. I am extremely worried now that I should not have done this. Is this inappropriate?

3. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

It wasn't the best choice you could have made, but its unlikely to cause much harm. The likelihood is that he too was a bit worse for wear and therefore it will all never come to light again.
    I often see parents when I'm out and about (wide catchment area, impossible to avoid them!) and have had conversations with them on occasion. The ones I see regularly we now just nod and smile, perhaps ask how each other are. Then we avoid each other!
    Learn from your mistake but don't beat yourself up over it.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice from Joannanna there.

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

It could've been so much worse - a friend of mine was out with a colleague who proceeded to drunkenly chat up some girls on a late night train home. They eventually told him that they knew who he was as they were in year 12 at his school....

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

A friend of mine was at a Parents' Evening, as a teacher. A couple sat down to talk to her about their child. My friend recognised the bloke as someone she'd met on an internet date a couple of months previously! They pretended not to know each other.

7. Thanks Joannanna. I'm going to try and forget it and definately wont be doing it again in the future!

8. Thanks Joannanna. I'm going to try and forget it now and definitely wont be making that mistake again in the future![​IMG]

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not as bad as one of my colleagues who was chatted up by a bloke on a night out, had a few drinks with him. It went no further (she said) and then a few days later he was sitting opposite her at parents' evening with his wife and daughter!

10. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Could someone get to the chase and please tell me why on earth this should be inappropriate? As with all political correctness, are we not putting thoughts into people's heads which otherwise just were not there ?

11. It's just a drink, forget it :) He probably thought it was the polite thing to do to offer a drink to his child's teacher. I personally see nothing wrong with it as long as it was as simple and innocent as that.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Quite agree. Just how scared do teachers have to be. Since when was going out and having a drink misconduct of any sort.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agreed.
    There's some parents who if I met them on a night out I would expect not to have to put my hand in my pocket at all (though would probably be disappointed).

14. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I don't see anything wrong in it at all!
    Embarrassingly, I did discover that I had unwittingly been on a few dates with the father of one of my Y11 pupils - much emarrassment and hilarity!

15. I once at a parents evening met a man who only the weekend before had tried and failed to pull me neither of us mentioned it in front of his wife lol!

16. I also teach the son of a man I dated at university which I didnt realise until yr7 welcome Mass though we made a joke of it.