1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saving changes made as administrator across all user accounts

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by impulce, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Could anybody explain to me how I save things I have done as the administrator, across all other user accounts?
    Thinks such as installing programmes, altering shortcuts...I want to be able to do these things, and then have them saved on the user accounts that the children use to log on and cant work it out.
    I am using windows XP.

Thanks!

2. Hello,
    Could anybody explain to me how I save things I have done as the administrator, across all other user accounts?
    Thinks such as installing programmes, altering shortcuts...I want to be able to do these things, and then have them saved on the user accounts that the children use to log on and cant work it out.
    I am using windows XP.

Thanks!

3. You definitely need a technician to help you with that one! Are you a teacher? Are you aware of the workload agreement on administrative tasks?

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

5. Im aware, but I would like to know for my own geeky ways, and also because it is probably quicker to do it myself than ring the flippin ICT tech (and for the school to pay for the priviledge).

6. Can you give a bit more detail on your system please, e.g. whether it's a server based network or PCs connected to a central switch without a server, etc.. Also, do you want the changes to be available on the individual machine you're working on or across the whole school?

7. They're all connected up to a server. Id like to be able to make changes to one computer across all user accounts (eg creating a shortcut, installing a standalone piece of software) but would also like to know how to install something across the whole network if need be.
    If it is ridiculously complicated dont worry - I will just leave it to the technician! I just wondered if it was quite simple but just a case of knowing which box to tick etc, in which case I could save us some money.

8. Hiya,

On standalone PCs it's easy but the server may make it difficult for you. To make system wide changes, you'll probably need access rights beyond that of a normal user. You'll also need admin rights either at local (on the pc itself) or network level to install and remove software.

Are you using a managed service?